The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Table hoppers & party strollers :: How to keep duplicates/gaff cards on you when strolling (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Montana76
View Profile
Inner circle
I hope I one day reach
1177 Posts

Profile of Montana76
Hi all!
I find I’m having trouble having my duplicate cards or gaff cards easily accessible.
If my jacket would have two more pocket I wouldn’t have a problem but now it is a struggle to find two dupes for Torn and Restored or the blue back for Chicago opener.

I usually hit 15 groups in my typical gig and this is a hassle.

So, how do you keep your cards easily accessible?
Levi Bennett
View Profile
Inner circle
1779 Posts

Profile of Levi Bennett
One option is to make a pocket divider with some thin cardboard or pieces of a file folder. For example, you could cut one piece slightly smaller than your jacket pocket and another piece smaller than that and tape the bottoms together. Then you would have your pocket divided into three sections and just by feel would know what is where.
Performing magic unprofessionally since 2008!
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4549 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
Torn and Restored Transpo I have a multiple sets of pairs in my left breast pocket in the inside left breast pocket if I need more, my left back pocket is reserved for pieces. I carry dupes (I take two decks and faro them together, so I can replenish my deck by reaching in and grabbing the next card after performance)

Blue backs I will have extras in my coach messenger bag I carry. But I always start out with Chicago Suprise so it’s always on bottom but I keep a few spares inside a card box in an inside pocket compartment that is easy to find.

For gaffs I have often carried gaffs like Twilight Angels in my UCCU.
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3525 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Many people keep the cellophane on the card box and put a stranger card in there.

There are some nice leather boxes that hold a deck of cards on Amazon. You could put the card box in there and have a little extra room for gaff cards in there. I think some of them come with a belt loop.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved back to Midwest to see
1349 Posts

Profile of imgic
A while back while thrifting with the kids, I came across a small black nylon case. It's got a compartment that's just the size of a poker deck. Then 4 slots that fit packet tricks, dupes, etc. It has snap front and belt loops. So I can wear it on side near back. Jacket or vest hides it.

There's no logo or marking on it, so cannot tell you who makes it.

I've seen similar "packet wallet" on Penguin;

https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/15792
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21282 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
You could always learn effects that don’t use duplicates.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
RickDangerous
View Profile
Special user
I can't believe I made
976 Posts

Profile of RickDangerous
I'm sure he also has many effects without duplicates. But sometimes you just need special or extra cards.I personally use the UCCU by Jeff Kaylor. Easy and invisible access when needed.
"Reality is what you can get away with."
Robert A. Wilson

"Think for yourself and question authority."
Timothy Leary
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21282 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Actually no you don’t.

Doing walk around magic is about being able to do the stuff dependably always. I’m not against gaffs at all.

But once you step into the world and are being paid to do things other considerations often supersede the desire to use them.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
RickDangerous
View Profile
Special user
I can't believe I made
976 Posts

Profile of RickDangerous
I get what you're saying. Of course you would never really NEED gaffs. But the you will rarely find a professional at a wedding without being able to perform anniversary waltz for example using some special cards. Sometimes the best option is gaffs. Sometimes it's not. I think we shouldn't go off topic. But some people are purists and I understand that.
"Reality is what you can get away with."
Robert A. Wilson

"Think for yourself and question authority."
Timothy Leary
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
2000 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
How is this a serious question? You have four pants pockets. My magic jacket (and most suit jackets) has six pockets. That is ten pockets. Keep the blue back in the cellophane or just put it aside after use then reset it when the deck goes back in the box. Do you mean to tell me that every pocket is dedicated to something specific and doesn't have room for a divider and 10 extra cards? I just find that very hard to believe. My jacket ticket pocket always held my packet trick wallet that would have room for spare cards.
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
korttihai_82
View Profile
Inner circle
Finland
1881 Posts

Profile of korttihai_82
I have Bazar De Magia card index in my front trouser pocket. Basically it is long plastic thingy with pockets on top of another to place cards into. I place different gaffs into different pockets. I use only few of the pockets. It is also made out of plastic so it keeps the body heat away from cards and prevents warping. It is easy to palm cards out of it and then return to it when not needed. Also it is very thin and allows the pocket to be used for other stuff as well.

Juha-Matti
ScarneAce
View Profile
Regular user
In a Galaxy far, far away...
151 Posts

Profile of ScarneAce
I keep the odd card for Chicago surprise and the 3 12 of clubs card in my breast pocket
magicnorm
View Profile
Special user
508 Posts

Profile of magicnorm
Food for thought, years ago I had my aunt , a really good seamstress, sew 4 additional pockets
In my jacket , they are sized to easily hold a deck. This has been a must for all the jackets I wear for strolling
Gigs.

Nm
Jerry Hornak
View Profile
Regular user
Northwest Connecticut
134 Posts

Profile of Jerry Hornak
Mack's 6-pair package of ear plugs comes in a soft plastic case that fits a dozen prepared card warp sets easily.

https://www.macksearplugs.com/product/pi......arplugs/

Available at your local big-box store for $4.

That was about the only card work I did at the few kids-walk-around events I got roped into, lol!
Making Happy Memories for Children since 1980!
https://JerrysMagic.com