The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Tricky business :: How Has Your 2022 Turned Out? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10615 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Well were coming into the final weeks and holiday season of 2022. It was a strong rebound year for many, yet others have areas that were slow to bounce back. So how was your 2022? How is the holiday season and NYE looking for you? Any noticeable changes in bookings? Have you had to change or alter your marketing in any way? Or the services you offer?

For those of you working the school market, how was the year for you in this market. What have been your strongest performance markets?

For us it was a great year. Last year was very good but this year was back in full swing, in many areas and even better than some pre-pandemic numbers. I have yet to see any hesitations on the supposed upcoming recession. Some have expressed possible concerns regarding next year and many that typically book multi-year contacts have also expressed concern but no hesitation as of yet. Large trade shows are returning slowly but consistently this year. We just did SEMA last week and it also was better than pre-pamdemic.

As far as my coaching, consulting, and training it too was up across the board. Many were more serious about getting back in full groove this year and quite a few with different/adjusted approaches or new additions to their offerings this year. Many have steered away from the cruise ship markets, schools, and digital/zoom shows, while fundraisers, wedding market, fair and festival markets, and agency coaching/consulting/training interest had quite strong interest this year.

Interestingly, newcomers to performing magic professionally as well as other types of performing is low, some at an all-time low for those wanting to start to perform professionally or as a career. I think there are few reasons for this but still I find it interesting and a trend I am following.

So how about you? Not just in bookings or revenue, but in all aspects across the board mentioned above and others, how was 2022?
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2394 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
Holiday bookings have returned to normal! I have not changed anything in my marketing efforts, except I have raised my prices. I really didn't want to, but the fact of the matter is because of inflation everything costs more, therefore it costs more to live. Why should I take it on the chin? I have found zero resistance to these price increases.

The only segment of my business that has not returned to normal is the school assembly business. It has gotten much better compared to last year, but I think there are still a certain percentage of schools that are being super careful, for whatever reason (supersensitive parents, teachers unions, etc.)

All in all business in 2022 was fantastic! So much so that I am writing this from sunny Florida, waiting to embark on a 7-day Caribbean cruise. FU Covid!
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
misterillusion
View Profile
Special user
Roseville, California
748 Posts

Profile of misterillusion
Looks like it will be my best year ever. Nothing new regarding marketing except I have been mailing my newsletter by snail mail as well as email. I started out doing it monthly and have changed to mailing quarterly to past customers. I have also made it a practice to record customer comments at the end of my show and use these when I communicate with prospects and post on my website too. My rates have been increased by 33% but this has not affected the number of bookings or my closing ratio. We are doing many in-home birthday parties, but also some commercial events as well (holiday parties for example). The number of incoming leads is plentiful to the point that I am either declining to bid or I am referring prospects to one of my booking agents for booking. December is starting to fill out nicely, but I still am not booked for NYE. Over all I am very happy with 2022 and look forward to a profitable 2023.
May every day be magic!

http://www.misterillusion.com
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3530 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Making more money than ever, but my investments took a huge bath, just like everyone else's did.
All of my individual stocks are doing nicely, but they're peanuts compared to my mutual funds and the 401k... (probably 25% down, with only 10 more good years of work left in me... If that much! gulp!)
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21282 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I hope that by the time you are done working the economy is in an up end of a cycle.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3530 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On Nov 21, 2022, Dannydoyle wrote:
I hope that by the time you are done working the economy is in an up end of a cycle.

A hope for us all, to be sure!
Smile
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21282 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Yes a sincere one at that. While I know nobody loses until they take out, if you are at the point of taking out then you lose! Can be the difference in the type of home you retire in.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell