The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Tricky business :: Inspiring Magic (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3169 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
The Tricky Business section is also the place to discuss/share ideas for motivational magic & other specialized programs. So, I want to share a few thoughts on that today. It’s sort of aimed at those who market and book their own shows and not for those who mostly go through an agency.

It's a long post of random thoughts and I may have to add to it later, but feel free to jump in and add any thoughts you may have.

The motivational speaker will sometimes use magic to entertain as well as to motivate and inspire audiences. But you don’t have to be a ‘motivational speaker’ to add a few inspiring moments to the magic act. And doing that can help if you really want the audience to like & remember YOU for more than just your magic. I know some may say no I just want them to like my magic, and what they think of me is not that important, but those are what I call the ‘ME’ people. Those are the ones shouting, ‘look at me and what I’m doing' And I’m not saying these people can’t be entertaining. They can, but in a small market like magic, where many/most of the magicians are booking their own shows, the well thought of performer is the one that is remembered the longest and invited back more often. They want to see more of YOU and not just what you do. Simply put and what I’m saying is a little like the Maya Angelou quote below.

“I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel”

The magic alone can make the audience feel good for the moment. But let's face it, folks, most of our magic, no matter how great we think the effects are, is not something that will be long remembered by the audience. After a very short time, the magic just becomes a blur. At best it will be “He did something with playing cards, a piece of rope or something with some ring things.” Sure, there are a few magic effects for sale out there claiming to leave a lasting impression, but even something like the Ole Hindu Rope Effect where the little boy climbs to the top of a long rope and vanishes in a puff of smoke will be remembered mostly for the trick itself and not for the performer who did it. The magicians' goal should be for them to remember YOU.

I certainly understand that every magic show is not themed as a motivational show, but wouldn’t it be good if the audience were motivated to remember YOU the performer, the person, longer than they did your tricks? Of course, it would if your goal is to be more than just a ME performer without a name. Telling them your name often or having it in bold letters behind you can help, but unless you give them a good solid reason to remember YOU then the name much like your magic will be forgotten soon. The same is true with the business card, unless they have a good reason to keep it, it will most likely go in the junk drawer never to be seen again.

The kidshow performer may have the advantage when it comes to being remembered the longest. It's easy for the child to think I want to be somebody like that one day. However, those performing for adults can win them over too but in a different way and not by just doing amazing magic. Yes, the magic needs to be good but the adult audience member will often look past the magic and see the person doing the magic. And by simply getting the audience to see you as someone that they can relate to and if they’re thinking “this is a real person sort of like myself only with a special talent” then they will ‘want’ to remember you. They become more than just a fan, it's more like new friends. And that, my friend, puts you in a much better position to build a longer-lasting relationship. After all, a successful business is built much like a solid building is built, but instead of with one good brick at a time, it's with one good customer at a time.

Now I want to share a memory with you. A few years ago, I met a man at a local restaurant and after talking a few minutes, sharing names and where we were from, the man suddenly got excited and said he remembered me from a school show I had done at his school many years ago. (I think it was about 18 years at the time) He still remembered how I kept pouring water from that silver-looking bowl thing (Lota Bowl) That was the only ‘trick’ he remembered from the magic show, but he did remember some of what I had said, (and how I made him feel) He remembered me encouraging everyone to keep reaching for their goal even during hard times. He remembered all throughout college and medical school that there would always be a little something left in your water jug to pour from if you would only believe in yourself. He kept pouring until he reached his goal of becoming a surgeon. The little things matter folks, and not just with the young kids, adults will remember a kind encouraging word, a simple please or thank you much longer than you may realize. “People will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel”

In years past and for a long time I would start my show (both kid and adult shows) by showing a little 4×6 box with a lid. I removed the lid and reached in with one hand taking out something from the box. Not showing the item while holding up my closed hand I would say. “I have something in my hand that has never been seen by any human eyes, later in the show I’m going to show it to you and I promise that you will be the first to ever see it” I placed it back in the box and set it aside where it remained in sight until the end of the show. At the end of the magic show, I would open the box and take out the Walnut, crack it open and show the inside kernel for the first time. I would then spend a few minutes talking about how we all have something good inside us, like the Walnut, but until we open up nobody will ever be able to see it.

Finally let me say, the best way to have an appreciative show and be invited back, again and again, is to perform a great show and try and make each member of the audience, and not just the one writing the check, feel special. Do that well and I promise you they may forget what you did but they won’t ever forget you and how you made them feel.

The bottom line is this, people like being around those who inspire them, they see them as a leader. I sometimes think magicians read too many magic books and not enough people books. I want to encourage you to look for ways to inspire others because inspiring others brings out the best in you.

Thanks For Reading & Stay Inspired

Tom
Fedora
View Profile
Special user
Arizona, usa
760 Posts

Profile of Fedora
Interesting thoughts tom, I like the walnut thing.
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3169 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Thanks Fedora. Yes that always played well.

I can’t remember all the words that I used with it, but I had two different
stories, one for the kids and one for the adults. And if it was a mixed family show I
would always use the lines for the kids. Because parents love it when you encourage
their kids to do their best in school, life, etc. Once in a while oh with the kids,
I would have one shout-out in the middle of the show, wanting me to hurry up
and open that box. LOL That too got a great reaction.

If I were doing it today, I would probably use one of those little red gift bags
with a handle on it so I could hang it up. Walnuts are hard to crack, so you need
a pair of crackers or a hammer with you. I once thought about partially cracking
the nut with a hammer and knife on one side beforehand. That way I could crush
it with my bare hand causing the adults to scratch their heads. But never did try it
that way, because the act of having to use a hammer to ‘open’ it always looked
good and that sort of reinforced the fact nobody had ever seen it. I actually started
out using a large peanut but quickly changed to the hard-shell walnut for that reason

Tom
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2394 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
Quote:
On Nov 2, 2022, TomBoleware wrote:
“I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel”

I believe this is why Copperfield has been so successful. His magic is spectacular, but he is also brilliant at evoking emotion. Doug Henning was successful at this also in a different way. Henning made you ‘feel’ the whole world was a magical place. This is so much better than focusing on fooling your audience and making them feel stupid. Many times, Doug would act surprised as well when the magic happened.

I found Doug Henning’s ‘acting like you’re surprised’ method to be very effective when entertaining children. If all you’re going to do is try to fool children, it becomes a contest that you will lose. If your show is a magical journey of mutual curiosity, children are more likely to sit quietly and go along with you for the ride.

I agree with you Tom. Inspiration is an important quality to include in entertaining successfully.
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3169 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Thanks Ken. Yes, it is exactly why Copperfield & Henning are miles ahead of the rest. You either inspire them to follow you on the magical journey, or you leave them behind.

True Copperfield appears to make the magic happen while Doug would often just sort of watch it happen. I loved watching Doug Henning’s magic specials. And I believe it was him that would often say ‘follow me on a magical journey’ Even today one can learn a lot about magic showmanship by watching his old shows.

As for kidshows, I agree that you're not going to ‘fool’ children. Join in and entertain them, yes you can do that.

Tom
Vandecarr
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of Vandecarr
Hey Tom,

I remember learning this from the "Get Off The Couch Book" that you sent me several years ago and it really does work!

I also use (very heavily) something I learned from Donald Trump and that is this: In ANY interaction I have with people (in business, with people I care about or want to build a relationship with) I make them feel like they are the most important person in the world.

These two things have helped build me a fortune!

Tom, thanks for everything you share!
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3169 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Vandecarr, Thanks my friend.

YES, you have to make others feel important to even have a chance at becoming successful.

I’ve heard it said that a business person should pretend to see a sign hanging around the customer's neck that reads, make me feel important.

The same is true standing on a stage, you have to get the audience on your side, and it takes more than a magic trick to do that. A few are born with that gift while most have to learn/practice it.

Tom
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3169 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
You cannot inspire others unless you are inspired yourself. It is much easier to persuade and inspire your viewers if you express a passionate and enthusiastic connection to your actions. The audience can feel it when the performer is enjoying what he/she is doing. And as they say, enthusiasm is contagious.

We mentioned Doug Henning above and one thing I really liked about him was how he could draw the viewers in by looking as if he was enjoying what he was doing. You could just tell he enjoyed his work. And I think almost all magicians today enjoy what they do. They love magic or they wouldn’t be doing it. But the love for it doesn’t somehow always translate to the audience as it should. Of course, personalities are different and it is harder for some to project this.

We also mentioned Copperfield, as great as he is and as much as I love watching him, I will say that at times he does project the thought that he is just going through the motions. It's sort of let's hurry and get this done and on to the next show. I’m sure that is just me being picky to make a point and maybe me having seen the wrong live show. But my point is, there are eyes and evaluating minds, on you the whole time your up in front of an audience.

One thing that always helped me get this thought of loving what I do across was, I wasn’t afraid to come out and say I love my job. At the end of a routine that had the audience laughing and in a whispering voice I would say, “I love doing this stuff, don’t tell the people that hired me but I would work for free”

Speaking of using a whispering voice, this is the best way to settle down a group of children. By lowing your voice lets them know something important is about to happen.

And when we insert this passionate and enthusiastic approach into marketing we can see a difference there too.

Stay Inspired so You Can Inspire Others

Tom
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
4389 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
This thread is over a year old, but I really enjoyed it. I very much like the walnut piece.
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3169 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Thank You KJ - It's Much Appreciated.

Tom
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3169 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
I've had a couple of other individuals mention to me how much they loved reading this old topic, and I'm happy it resurfaced. I intended to contribute more to it sooner, but it slipped my mind. For me it brings back some memories of the good old times. And there is always a good lesson in remembering the days gone by. One is, if we forget the past, it's hard to get ahead in the future. Looking back on our memories and experiences can teach us valuable lessons that we can apply to our present and future. One important lesson that we can learn from remembering the past is the significance of not forgetting it. When we forget what has happened before, it's hard to move forward and progress in the future. We need to remember where we came from, the challenges we faced, and the successes we achieved. This knowledge will help us make better decisions, avoid repeating mistakes, and create a better future for ourselves and those around us.

Now, speaking of card tricks and how you can do card tricks without the cards.
Oh, I can hear some here saying already, just wait a minute, who said anything about card tricks?
That thought is burning my ears now, so for those, I’ll just say it was me who said it.
Look back a few words and see for yourself that I said, speaking of card tricks. Lol

Ok, please stay with me, it will get better I promise. Card tricks have been a popular form of entertainment for centuries, with magicians and performers dazzling audiences with their sleight of hand and amazing tricks. But what if you want to impress your friends with a card trick, but don't have a deck of cards on hand? Or maybe you just simply don’t like using playing cards. Fear not, for there are still plenty of ways to perform a card trick without the playing cards. Now, let me share a memory:

As some here may know, I owned a small sports card shop for several years. It was a novelty/gift shop with toys, jokes, and simple magic tricks. But sportcards were hot in the early 90’s and that was our main selling item that kept us in business for ten years. It was there that I taught myself to do magic with sports cards instead of playing cards. I did a homemade two-card monte with Mickey Mantle and Yogi Berra many a time. Moving forward to today, and for those maybe wanting to play around with trading card magic. The trading cards, and especially the older ones, are thick and easy to split, making it easy to create gimmicks out of the cards. For example, you can have a baseball player on the back side of the Ace of Hearts. Also worth noting, there are trading cards of all the sports, not just baseball, and a ton of non-sport cards too. Everybody from Elvis to Superman has been made into a trading card. And let’s not forget the millions of Star Wars, Magic The Gathering, and Pokémon cards out there today. You name it, and there is a card of it.

Another simple trick that works particularly well with trading cards is the classic "pick a card, any card" routine. Instead of using a regular deck of cards, you can ask your audience member to choose a card from a stack of trading cards. You can then use your magic skills to make your chosen card disappear and reappear in unexpected places. Another fun idea is to use trading cards with a specific theme, such as a superhero or sports team, to create a themed magic routine. You can incorporate the characters and images from the cards into your tricks, making for a more engaging and visually stunning performance. A quickie could be, while doing a double lift, show your favorite ball player, and ask, you know why he is so good? It’s because he is Superman, and you show the card has changed to a Superman card.

Another flashback from pitching magic on top of a display case, and this can be a fun and creative way to spice up a close-up performance without cards. You casually show a pack of playing cards and say, “I bet you haven’t seen this one before” You then open the card box and pour out a handful of coins. The spectator was expecting you to do a card trick. Huh? Instead, while peeping inside the empty card box you say, “Oh I don’t do card tricks” Now begin your magic with the coins. With a little sleight of hand, it’s possible to keep coming back to the empty card box and pouring more coins out of it. Do this a few times and you got yourself a good routine using an empty playing card box as the center of attention. And on special occasions when you want to impress the group, you can start with a still-sealed pack of cards and get that extra wow when you unseal it, open and then pour out the coins. I won’t give the sealed pack secret here, but most magicians will know how to do that. I’m sure it's been mentioned in a few magic books. And of course, you can always message me.

I guess you could say the above bit is, taking your magic out of the box. Or better yet, it’s called thinking outside the box. Sometimes we get stuck with only following and listening to other magicians and forget that we have a mind of our own. We get trapped within the magic bubble. And too, maybe it's that we don’t trust listening to non-magicians. By the way, it was a non-magician friend who suggested I keep my trick coins in a playing card box and that got me thinking. And later it was my wife, a non-magician, who told me how to put something inside what looked like a sealed box.

So yes, there are many ways to do card tricks without using normal playing cards. And all this has been a small example of the power of one's imagination. There are always new and exciting magic ideas just waiting to be discovered by those who are willing to think outside the magic box. Whether you are a seasoned magician or just starting, the key to unlocking your full potential lies in your ability to break free from conventional thinking and explore new possibilities. Thinking outside the box requires creative thinking, innovation, and a willingness to take risks. It means stepping outside of your comfort zone and challenging yourself to see things in a different light.

Now let me say, for some being an entertainer is not an easy feat. It takes a lot of courage, talent, and hard work to step on a stage and perform in front of an audience. However, the rewards of entertaining others can be immeasurable. There is a certain joy that comes from knowing that you have brought happiness to someone's day, whether it's through magic, music, dance, comedy, or any other form of entertainment. As a magic entertainer, it is important to remember that your talents are unique and valuable. You have the power to change someone's mood, inspire them, or help them forget their troubles for a while. Embrace your talents and use them to their fullest potential. Don't be afraid to take risks and try new things. The best performers are those who are constantly evolving and pushing themselves to be better. And let us remember, sometimes we have to look outside our own little magic world to see new ideas.

It's also important to remember that not every performance will be perfect. Mistakes happen, and it's okay. The main thing is that you learn from those mistakes and use them to improve. Keep practicing and honing your craft, and you will see progress over time. Above all, remember why you started entertaining in the first place. Was it to make people laugh? To bring joy to others? To express yourself creatively? Whatever your reason, hold onto it and let it drive you to continue entertaining. The world needs more joy and positivity, especially in the troubled times we live in today.

So, to all the magicians and entertainers out there: keep shining your light and sharing your talents with the world. Keep inspiring, because you never know whose day you might brighten or whose life you might change.

T*O*M
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
4389 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
I do a couple "card" tricks that don't involve a deck of cards. One of them is I always have 3/4 card in my wallet that is a clever, entertaining, and humorous "card trick" where they decide on a single card that feels very free and if they are right, they get another quarter of the card. The card is from a deck that has pips on all four corners. Another way to do a card trick without cards is with something like Psypher. I also use psypher in a deck where they write the value and suit of a thought of card, say 7H, then they draw a simple drawing around it. So, it might be a 7H inside a house or tree. I then take the cards out and fail to find their card, then try to read their mind by drawing it on a random card... and fail, then get the card and drawing to rearrange itself in their hands.
KJ
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3169 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Now that sounds neat.

Tom