The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Looking out for our own :: Max Maven (18 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
NeilS
View Profile
Inner circle
3256 Posts

Profile of NeilS
Many decades ago I saw him present an effect at the Magic Circle.

I was amazed and entertained.

So much so that to this day I remember the effect as well as some of his amusing lines.

I had absolutely no idea how he accomplished this particular effect but it shows what a consummate showman he was.

RIP Max. And thank you for all you have given to our art.

Neil
influentialist
View Profile
Loyal user
235 Posts

Profile of influentialist
My favourite performer and teacher.

Very sad to lose him, but what a magnificent legacy he leaves behind.
reignofsound
View Profile
Inner circle
Glasgow, UK
2208 Posts

Profile of reignofsound
RIP Max.
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4911 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
Only 3 years older than me! We are all getting Older!
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
Goldfield
View Profile
Veteran user
Traveller
389 Posts

Profile of Goldfield
Thank you Max.. we love you!
The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love & be loved in return.
gregg webb
View Profile
Inner circle
1564 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
We lost Max and Phil Goldstein! It is a shame. I have several of Max's ideas in my wedding reception act. I'm sure everyone has at least read some of his voluminous works. I hope there will be articles about him in Genii, etc. A line of his I remember is "I don't care if people think what I do is real. But I do want them to know it is hard!".
gregg webb
View Profile
Inner circle
1564 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
While reminiscing about Max, I was remembering that he used to do the art for the Hank Lee ads. So, he could draw! I hope I have the details right, and hope others may have anecdotes about his art or his magic and mentalism.
GlennLawrence
View Profile
Veteran user
Randolph NJ
322 Posts

Profile of GlennLawrence
I first became aware of Max Maven when he appeared on the World's Greatest Magic TV specials of the mid-90's. That first one he did an effect where Anna Nicole Smith appears as the chosen celebrity. Sadly they are both gone now, along with Robert Urich who hosted that first show. Come to think of it, Alan Thicke and John Ritter who hosted the others are also gone. ***, this is one depressing post...
gregg webb
View Profile
Inner circle
1564 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
During several correspondences with Max, a long time ago really, I posed the question of whether he thought it possible to do a trick with 5 poker dice, and have them rolled, and deal out the same hand from a deck as showed up on the poker dice. I remember he answered "Even if you solve it, I don't think it would make a very good trick". And of course he was Max Maven and Phil Goldstein combined, so I gave up on working on the trick. Today I remembered this unfinished trick, and I think I solved a little more on it than before. Maybe not. Something I saw Ricky Jay do reminds me of something that might help solve this Poker Dice and Cards thing.

But, probably Max was right. He was both Phil Goldstein and Max Maven.
gregg webb
View Profile
Inner circle
1564 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
Vanish Magazine has a very nice tribute issue for Max.