The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Looking out for our own :: Earl Nelson's Health (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
KellyMillsGraham
View Profile

0 Posts

Profile of KellyMillsGraham
Recently Earl Nelson suffered some major health issues and is currently under medical care.

If you care to send a postcard, card, or letter; please send them via the following:

Earl Nelson
c/o
Alan Harrington
Box 445
Dewey, AZ 86327

Earl won't be able to answer the correspondence, however his friends in Arizona will make sure he receives the cards and letters.

Your words of encouragement and support as he recuperates will be appreciated.

Shall keep you updated via this thread as information is available.
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2897 Posts

Profile of Tom G
Thanks for the information, best to Earl.
KellyMillsGraham
View Profile

0 Posts

It would be helpful to Earl's recovery if folks who know him could write a personal anecdote relating to a moment they spent with him or good times had. Maybe they could include a picture of themselves from that time period, perhaps even with Earl to help refresh memories.

Postcards might be best for general well wishing as it would require less handling on Earl's part.

He's having difficulty speaking, so direct phone calls to him are frustrating. Also, he's not texting yet.

He is making progress however, and his recuperation is going to take awhile. Mr. Harrington has offered the use of his address as Earl will be eventually moved to another facility to convalesce over the long term.

I have seen Earl twice since he was admitted to the hospital and he is making progress and improvements. We got some coins and cards into his hands and hopefully that will aid both in his recovery and in passing the time.

As for specific details of what is ailing him, we're respecting his privacy as to who has those details. He has made progress, and it is going to take time for him to get better. He's been in the hospital for almost two weeks as of this post.

Anyhow, let's continue to support him. The hospital staff has been very impressed with the outpouring of love and support they've witnessed from the magic community. Let's keep up the support and keep Earl in your thoughts and prayers.
MJ Marrs
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
1121 Posts

Profile of MJ Marrs
I’ll send a card this weekend. For the time being though please pass on my regards.

I was roaming the Magic Castle a couple decades ago and ran into Earl Nelson. He was very gracious with his time and assistance with his U3F handling which was tremendously helpful since I was just beginning to learn the routine.

Watching Earl hold court in the Hat & Hare section while waiting for the close up shows was memorable. His moves were so slow and polished. Watching him expertly perform R Paul Wilson’s “Ricochet” was seared into my memory. True master. Stay strong good sir.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4248 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
If Earl has blonde hair and appeared on the Canadian show "The Magic Palace," then I have just watched him work and he is very impressive.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
KellyMillsGraham
View Profile

0 Posts

Chessman,
Yes, that is the same person.
KellyMillsGraham
View Profile

0 Posts

Just a brief update on Earl's condition and also information on where he is in case you care to visit him.

His condition is not good at the moment and he is often confused and unaware of where he is and why he's there.

He is presently in:

Yavapai Regional Medical Center in Prescott.
Room 205a
1003 Willow Creek Rd, Prescott, AZ 86301

YRMC Main number:
1 928-362-5376

Eventually he will be transferred elsewhere for assisted living.

Please use Mr. Harrington's address in the first post for cards and letters, as his location will change.

He is still non-verbal, so telephonic communication is very difficult, and even in person conversation is difficult. That being said, there are moments of lucidity, but they are brief.

Shall let you know more later in the week after visiting him.
KellyMillsGraham
View Profile

0 Posts

Yesterday Earl was transferred to the ICU and put on a ventilator.
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3531 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Prayers for him, his family, and other loved ones.
KellyMillsGraham
View Profile

0 Posts

Earl's condition continues to deteriorate. Tomorrow he is going to hospice.
KellyMillsGraham
View Profile

0 Posts

Just received a call from a nurse at the hospital saying that Earl may not have long, and that more than likely he won't last overnight or through tomorrow.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4248 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
I'm so sorry to hear this. I've enjoyed getting to know his work these past days. He will be leaving, among many other things I'm sure, a fine legacy of his work.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
KellyMillsGraham
View Profile

0 Posts

Earl passed away overnight. Shall post funeral details when they are available.
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2897 Posts

Profile of Tom G
Sad to hear. Never met him, but knew his work from Variations and the 2 tapes/DVD that he released.
magicnorm
View Profile
Special user
508 Posts

Profile of magicnorm
Thanks Kelly for being the voice thru this horrible time, best wishes to Earl’s family????
Levi Bennett
View Profile
Inner circle
1778 Posts

Profile of Levi Bennett
So sorry for your loss.
Performing magic unprofessionally since 2008!
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4248 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Kelly, if you or others who were close to Earl would care to, you could write a biographic sketch of Earl's life and work here - in this area of the Café or perhaps another. Just a way to let people know more about Earl. While some of Earl's magical performances are available on paper and video, I found myself interested in knowing a little more about Earl himself, and his journey through magic. Perhaps others feel the same.