The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Right or Wrong? :: Fab Magic = Rip off dealer? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
the Sponge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
2780 Posts

Profile of the Sponge
Per the description, THEY redesigned this disc to make it stronger...

https://fabmagic.com/shop/ols/products/g......ch-video

Is it me, or have they ripped off Jerry Andrus's Tri Zonal Space Warper?

"A NEW ERA OF OLD TRADITIONS" LOL well, some of those traditions were to rip-off creators by copying the effects in house.
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2334 Posts

Profile of David Todd
First , I need to say that I don't know the Jerry Andrus effect or the item that FAB is selling. However, before accusing them in a public forum of committing a rip-off, I would tend to want to check with the dealer first to see if perhaps they have licensed it from the Jerry Andrus estate (if it is exactly the same as the Andrus effect, aside from the re-design to make it stronger) or was the Andrus effect you mention based on an older principle that Andrus used, which is actually in public domain ? (again, I have no knowledge of the Andrus effect).

FAB calls theirs "Growing & Shrinking Head Illusion, Laminated!" . A quick search for "Growing & Shrinking Head Illusion" comes up with multiple examples and it's on Steve Spangler's site as a "science experiment" optical illusion , so I suspect this is a very old principle. The name associated most with the illusion in search results is someone named Bruce Kalver.

My dealings with FAB have always been good. I don't consider them in the category of "Rip Off dealers".