The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: What's this trick....Finger ring & string - Dean Dill (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
RussoMagic.com
View Profile
Loyal user
242 Posts

Profile of RussoMagic.com
I can't find the video anymore, but it was Dean Dill borrowed a finger ring, pulled off some string and cut about 2 ft of it. Had the ends in front of a screen (looked like a large menu standing up right) visible to the audience.. and behind the screen was the middle of the string...and he took a few moments and somehow put the ring was on the string?! The spectator pulled it off...it was amazing. This was NOT the deans box. Did he take this one to the grave with him?

Thanks
~R
Obviously
View Profile
Regular user
187 Posts

Profile of Obviously
Seems like there was a thread about this in 2020. Maybe an effect found in an old Slydini book?
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3632 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
From what I understand, Dean Dill never revealed his method. From the video, it is quite a mystery!
RussoMagic.com
View Profile
Loyal user
242 Posts

Bravo! I wonder how...the mystery still lives...
papawemba
View Profile
Special user
656 Posts

Profile of papawemba
Agree great trick and mystery ! Watching the video a few/times can give you the answer... Smile
RussoMagic.com
View Profile
Loyal user
242 Posts

Papawemba....do you have a video link?
DelMagic
View Profile
Special user
724 Posts

Profile of DelMagic
From papawemba in another thread about the effect, not the video:

Hello John, it is in Magical World of Slydini by Karl Fulves, check the Toc here : http://archive.denisbehr.de/list/book/787
Page 76, called "The Ring On The String".
RussoMagic.com
View Profile
Loyal user
242 Posts

ajb6864
View Profile
Special user
Greece
638 Posts

Profile of ajb6864
I remember Howard Baltus releasing exactly the same routine a number of years ago, so that might also be worth trying to find if you are interested.
RussoMagic.com
View Profile
Loyal user
242 Posts

RussoMagic.com
View Profile
Loyal user
242 Posts

Thanks for everyone's help here!

Obviously- you are 100% correct
Rowdy -He might have but its in a Slydini book
Dell thanks that'snit...found it/bought it on lybrary
Ajb- yes but he took it from Slydini, as did Dean...but perhaps it is in the witchcraft book...who knows. But itsnin Slydinis book...c
VernonOnCoins
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1981 Posts

Profile of VernonOnCoins
Fred Kaps also had a version
ajb6864
View Profile
Special user
Greece
638 Posts

Profile of ajb6864
Glad you found the YT video Russo, I should have thought to look for the link.

On the subject of YouTube, I did actually see someone performing and then teach the exact same methodology for the trick on there. I just had a quick look, but couldn't find it though.

They used a handkerchief for cover though instead of a book. It was EXACTLY the same, not the old ring, pin and string trick or Sefalaljia III (which I still sometimes use) and was a bit surprised that it was explained on there!
MJ Marrs
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
1122 Posts

Profile of MJ Marrs
Thanks for bringing this to our attention. What a treat!

I was fortunate to be able to spend some time at Dean’s Shoppe and he always had something super special to make the trip magical. What a cool guy and a true gentleman.
RussoMagic.com
View Profile
Loyal user
242 Posts

Thanks guys! Dean was a treat...now the hard part is to find the right string to use.
kebmo3108
View Profile
Regular user
Austria
115 Posts

Profile of kebmo3108
Thanks RussoMagic for bringing this up. It is always great to find a well hidden gem and whenever I hear Dean Dill, I pay attention. He was great.