The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The Society of American Magicians! :: First meeting in years (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
For the first time in eighteen years I managed to get to an SAM meeting! I'd been a member before I lost my GOOD job and ended up at Walmart. Between economic concerns and scheduling issues, I never got a chance to get to another meeting.

(To be fair, I COULD have asked for specific days off, but I wasn't sure where or when the meetings were being held.)

Through dumb luck, they didn't schedule me on the first Wednesday of the month, and I got notice that there would be a meeting themed to "spooky magic" on that same night! So I went to my first meeting in 18 years.

The meetings are held at a VFW in North Providence, RI. About an hour away by bus. A couple of them knew me, because when we moved to our new place last year, I gathered up most of my books and magazines and offered them to the group. They didn't want the magazines but were very happy with the books. (Anyone in RI reading this, the magazines went to "Cellar Stories" in Providence.) The meetings were normally held in the meeting room, but the VFW people needed it tonight, so the meeting was held in the bar. A little disruptive, but they managed.

(I don't know names, so I'll just have to say "a performer.")

After the business, the theme is spooky magic and I performed Henry Hay's "plunger" Rising Cards from "The Amateur Magician's Handbook." stating that the card is being pulled up by a ghost who works with me. ("You got it this time? We don't want a repeat of last week!") The guy in charge did a tarot card trick after lighting a tea candle for "atmosphere" he had a folded billet chosen from a paper bag, and the same spectator chose a tarot card through an elaborate process. The chosen card was "The Devil," and the billet was blank! But, heating it up over the candle revealed invisible writing; "Lucifer." A different performer did a very effective Haunted Key, while another showed how he'd made special plate for "Scaredy Cat Bunny" with a ghost that changed to a witch, then to a "Happy Halloween" sign. (He also showed a Christmas take with Rudolph, The Grinch and Santa) One performer did a very effective Ball and Tube effect. The last performer showed a device he said he got at an auction and had to refurbish. A long candle was placed into a "Chinese" style cabinet with three doors. Displaying two small scimitars, he inserted them into the cabinet, opening the doors showed the top and bottom of the candle with the middle missing! He closed the drawers, removed the scimitars, and remove the restored candle.

It was a wonderful night, and I'm going to try and get my membership renewed and start attending meetings regularly again! Next month is the flea market. Pray for me!
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax