The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... :: Stage hypnosis by hypnotherapists (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
adrianrbf
View Profile
Regular user
Switzerland
115 Posts

Profile of adrianrbf
What should a hypnotherapist consider when presenting a stage hypnosis show?

Hypnotherapists often say that hypnotherapy has nothing to do with the prejudices people may have on hypnosis, like controlling the hypnotee's mind and making them do things they do not want to. I think these prejudices are rooted in second class spy thrillers rather than in stage hypnosis performances. But anyway: A hypnotherapist who also does stage hypnosis must make sure that he does not encourage any misconceptions about hypnosis in his stage show; that it is a positive experience for the hypnotees; that the spectators who are not hypnotised think "I should try this, too" and not "I am so glad I am not one of the volunteers on stage"; and that the hypnotist is still taken seriously as a therapist.

I am interested in
a) insights of the hypnotists present here on this topic;
b) publications (books, articles or video courses) that deal with this question.

I am (and always will be) only a hobbyist performer; I have learned the basics of hypnotherapy and use them for non-clinical coaching applications like relaxation, strengthening ressources etc.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21275 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Sounds to me like you’re neither a performer or a therapist.

If you’re on the stage be entertaining. It is that simple.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10615 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Exactly the same thought I had as well. First of all stage hypnosis is not about the hypnosis it is about entertaining. Are you an entertainer or performer? That should be first and foremost. Only then should you even think about adding in any hypnosis.

This is the problem with 95% of stage hypnotists today s they are not entertainers and rely on the hypnosis for any type of entertainment or entertainment value. This is why so many have bad experiences.

Hypnosis is only the discipline used. Same for hypnotherapy. It is about the therapy, with hypnosis only used as the medium.

I have yet to ever see this covered properly in a book, Get real training.
adrianrbf
View Profile
Regular user
Switzerland
115 Posts

Profile of adrianrbf
Quote:
On Oct 2, 2022, Dannydoyle wrote:
Sounds to me like you’re neither a performer or a therapist.

Indeed, but I am still interested in the question.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21275 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Often these are questions more discussed amongst peers as opposed to just anyone interested in the question. Your interest in the question doesn't necessarily entitle you to an answer.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2615 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
Unfortunately this is not the place to go for these questions. You won't get any helpful information here.

Also, you're basically already aware of the answer - a therapist needs to make sure their audience has a positive experience that subtly negates any possible negative stereotypes about hypnosis.

To my knowledge there's no resources that goes into detail about this, it's usually a side comment or footnote in whatever foundation of hypnosis course one studies.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
Boffo eBook: https://tinyurl.com/387sxkcd
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3531 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
In my opinion, the difference is a stage hypnotists end goal is to entertain the audience.
A hypnotherapist, though he/she may be on stage, they are actually doing hypnosis demonstrations and what hypnosis can achieve. Though it may be entertaining, in the end, they are doing a paid advertisement for their services.
JonChase
View Profile
Loyal user
Exeter, UK
225 Posts

Profile of JonChase
Hi Adrian.
MY personal experience on the matter. The first misconception is that the relaxatherapy practiced by most therapists is that their clients are experiencing the hypnotic condition - when just sitting for an hour eyes closed - well it isn't hypnosis.

With the right conditions and Hypnotee's then what you see on stage is pretty much 100% mind control, manipulation and direction and has very little to do with the therapy idea of what the respondent experiences.

The thing is, as I say in my book, hypnosis happens based on Belief - which is unarguably the strongest emotive driver we have, and as such if they believe you can, then you can.

Stage hypnosis is a peculiar beast in that even if the performer only has a rudimentary understanding of what's happening the event will eventually attract the 'perfect' subject, and when that happens the performer pretty much holds the responsibility of the Hypnotee's conscious and conscience. So yes, they can, with the right direction, be put into scenarios where they will most certainly react in ways they normally would not do, which amounts to 'against their will' or certainly outside of their morals, principles and even beliefs. Which gifts a lot of responsibility to the performer. And yes *I* believe that in the wrong hands' harm can be done without the right attitude and respect for people on stage.

As for the originating question, "What should a hypnotherapist consider when presenting a stage hypnosis show? " what they should consider above all is that they are impacting an art that pre dates theirs, mostly in a negative fashion, as hardly any therapists understand stage presence, audience rapport and influence or in putting together a 'show'.

As for the prejudices for therapy, that's easily addressed by therapists saying that what they do is lay psychotherapy with some relaxation and stop adding the Hypno part, because Everyone knows how the big bad hypnotists are all evil! ;-)
Smiles

Jon Chase

http://jonathanchase.com