The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: What happened, was this... :: Crazy event. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Dr. Delusion
View Profile
Special user
Eugene, Oregon.
733 Posts

Profile of Dr. Delusion
About 3 months ago a lady called, asking if I could do a show in a town about 90 minutes away. It was a fund raiser for a community center. I gave her my price, she said it sounded great, but she would get back to me soon. I put it down in the book with a question mark. Months later on Friday she calls if I'm still on for the show tomorrow. Lucky I was still open, so I said OK. Turns out she thought someone else called me a long time back to confirm the show...So I pack up the show and head down Saturday. At noon is a band, a dance group at 1:00 then another band, then me at 3:00, followed by more bands. I show up at 1:30. The place is pretty much dead. Maybe 15 people wondering around. Then I find out what has happen..so far. The lady running the event rented a trailer for the stage, a friend found out and tells her to cancel it, his son has a trailer she can use for free....Friday afternoon he shows up to tell her the trailer is a no go, his son is using it to haul hay. Of course the other trailer is gone. The guy feels bad and tells her I'll build you one for free. He's still working on it when I arrived. About then, the sound company,( If you can call them that) is just arriving, they were supposed to be there at 9:00 to set up. And it gets better, I see a big row of porta potty's, I head over to use one..nope they are all locked, I ask for a key, no one knows where it is..so much for that. The lady that is putting this on is close to having a heart attack by now. I was told that early on the place was packed, but with no entertainment and just a few booths selling homemade items, all but a few had left. I tell her I can do my show in front of the stage, no mic or anything is needed, heck only 15 or so folks were left. So I do my show and finish just as the sound crew is done and a band is set up. As I'm packing up the sound system is popping and crackling, sounded terrible. The poor lady is near tears, I really felt sorry for her. I'm handed my check and I finish packing up and head to a nearby gas station to use the restroom. I have no idea how the rest of the day and evening went...better I hope!
Levi Bennett
View Profile
Inner circle
1778 Posts

Profile of Levi Bennett
Wow. Poor lady. I feel bad for her, that really is tough. At least you were able to perform.
Performing magic unprofessionally since 2008!
GlennLawrence
View Profile
Veteran user
Randolph NJ
322 Posts

Profile of GlennLawrence
I'm not sure how bad I feel. This story is why you actually plan things and have contracts in writing with reliable vendors. And make sure if someone else is calling to follow up that they actually do. Sounds like this "event" was thrown together haphazardly by someone who had no idea what they were doing and got in over their head.
Dr. Delusion
View Profile
Special user
Eugene, Oregon.
733 Posts

Profile of Dr. Delusion
I do agree Glenn. It was pretty clear she was in over her head on this one and listened to too many folks that said they would help, but in the end caused more trouble for her than anything.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Sorry for such a rotten experience. Got to admit, I'm waiting to hear what happens when you try to cash the check...
Dr. Delusion
View Profile
Special user
Eugene, Oregon.
733 Posts

Profile of Dr. Delusion
Landmark, I was pretty nervous for sure waiting for it to clear!
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3530 Posts

Profile of gaddy
This sounds like a nightmare I once had where I was hosting a party and everything went south quickly
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*