The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Magic...at a moment's notice! :: Best Impromptu, Easy To Carry Coin Vanish Gimmick (for non professionals)? (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
jregister
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of jregister
Hello! What's the best easy to use, easy to setup (something you can keep in your pocket everyday & can do impromptu ), coin vanish gimmick?

I was looking at getting The Raven, but with it being a pull device, it's not an ideal everyday carry device. Also, ideally looking for something that doesn't require sleights.

I'm not a professional by any means. Just looking for something I can do for my kids, family, etc.

Thanks so much in advance!

Jonathan

P.S. I'm learning sleight of hand, coin vanishes but I suck at them. Smile I know it will take time, but wanting an easy to carry gimmick that does that work for me in the meantime.
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3531 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Coin pull
bentpenny
View Profile
Loyal user
204 Posts

Profile of bentpenny
A few come to mind, but they each have their unique limitations and compromises, and will still require some baseline level of sleight of hand:

Black Ops Watch by Eric Jones & Ellusionist.com
https://ellusionist.com/products/black-ops-watch

Catch by Vanishing Inc.
https://www.vanishingincmagic.com/close-up-magic/catch/

Flicker Coin V2
https://www.vanishingincmagic.com/close-......coin-v2/

Keep practicing your sleights! You'll be vanishing coins without any gimmicks in no time!

P.S. Honorable mention goes to the trusty old shell or hooked coin in your local currency!
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9997 Posts

Profile of funsway
Using a Raven certainly requires sleights, as do all gimmicks.

Some "no gimmick" methods require less difficult sleights such as "Never Was," just psychology

The real skill to be mastered is not a sleight - to hold an empty hand convincingly as if it holds a coin/object when it does not.
The rest is timing, directed focus and confidence.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
FrankFindley
View Profile
Inner circle
1047 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
Dick Oslund's 'Pro Method' for COIN-GO may be exactly what you are looking for. It is in his Road Scholar book page 273.

Effect: Magician takes a half dollar from pocket and places it on leg, just above knee. Covering it with his fingers, he rubs the coin for a few seconds. Fingers are lifted and the coin is gone.

Note from Dick: "The last time that I worked at the Magic Castle, this simple bit had the young guys following me around All Week!"
FrankFindley
View Profile
Inner circle
1047 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
Also, jregister, for the above I assumed that you wanted just a practical single coin vanish. But there are other effects which you might get a lot of use from. Items like Scotch and Soda, Locking 61 cents (or $1.35 or $2.85), Hopping Half, and Lethal Tender could be good choices for you. Are you familiar with those?
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3531 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Quote:
On Sep 27, 2022, FrankFindley wrote:
Dick Oslund's 'Pro Method' for COIN-GO may be exactly what you are looking for. It is in his Road Scholar book page 273.

Effect: Magician takes a half dollar from pocket and places it on leg, just above knee. Covering it with his fingers, he rubs the coin for a few seconds. Fingers are lifted and the coin is gone.

Note from Dick: "The last time that I worked at the Magic Castle, this simple bit had the young guys following me around All Week!"

Dick's COIN-GO is his routine using the method I suggested, a pull. There are numerous ways of hook up in using such a
device, though I do agree that I have used it no other way since he taught it to me in the mid '80s.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5958 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I like a certain pillbox sold as "Rattle Box". It's not the traditional rattle box, but it allows for a convincing vanish. If you can do a Bobo Switch, you can do this within minutes.
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3531 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Just wondering if the old paper fold can be considered as an answer to the OP question?
bentpenny
View Profile
Loyal user
204 Posts

Profile of bentpenny
I like this answer. It's simple and cheap. Could work very well with a business card and quarter (maybe nickel/dime would be better for business card size). With a sharpened pencil or pen, you could make it a penetration effect initially. Then have the coin reappear anywhere else you want.