The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Table hoppers & party strollers :: What are you willing to try? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Levi Bennett
View Profile
Inner circle
1796 Posts

Profile of Levi Bennett
So here's something I've been thinking about lately. How many of you are willing to try something just to see what reactions it will get even if it's not something that you personally think is mind blowing or an awesome trick?

I ask this because many times I think I am jaded toward some tricks or methods, or I see them through magician's eyes, but I forget that laymen see things differently. Usually I just do tricks that I personally like or find enjoyable and don't try things just to see how they play and if OTHERS like it.

So lately I've been pushing my boundaries and trying things just to see how they play, rather than just performing things I personally like, and am finding that there are some great things out there that I may have overlooked.

I mean, for me, I've always liked to say that it's all about entertaining the audience, but I think I've been missing some of that and I want to change my thinking and give some different things a go. Things that I would normally say, "that would never fly."

Don't get me wrong, there are definitely some bad tricks out there that I would never do. I am just wondering how you look at trick selection and what kind of personal boundaries you have on trying new things.
Performing magic unprofessionally since 2008!
RobertApodaca
View Profile
Regular user
Henderson, NV
151 Posts

Profile of RobertApodaca
Great question, it's hard to come up with original routines, but its so satisfying.
Levi Bennett
View Profile
Inner circle
1796 Posts

Profile of Levi Bennett
I'm trying to do this without naming specific tricks because I don't want to offend anyone, but there are tricks I've looked at as ones I would never do and I've given them a go lately and they work, so, point for me lol
One such trick would be King's Keisters that Tom Ladshaw was kind enough to gift me on a recent order. I didn't like the look of it at first, but I gave it a go and posted a video on my Facebook page and people really like it a lot. And now so do I. Tom's a great guy btw. It was a real pleasure buying from him.
At the risk of getting flamed, and I apologize in advance for anyone that likes this trick, I will say that Dan Harlan's Vortex is another good example of something that looks preposterous to me and I think I would never do it. But now I'm rethinking that. In layman's eyes it seems to get great reactions. It has definitely moved into the "might try it" column.
Some people might say you shouldn't do tricks you don't like because that will carry over into your presentation, but as someone who looks at presentation professionally, or at least I think I do, I would disagree. I feel I can present a trick and a script with a certain degree of acting chops that allow me to test a routine just to see how it plays.
So anyway, those are some specific examples of what I'm talking about in this recent little journey of growth I've been experiencing. It's fun. Anyone else look at things this way? Or vehemently disagree?
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Georgetown, South Carolina
3102 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Levi,
You said something that I always strive for when performing;
"Pushing my boundries" There are risky moves that I avoided for fear of failure. One example was to load a card into someone's pocket without them knowing for an effect that I would perform for them. Another was a card move called the "Top Shot" where I would flick a card undetectabley from the top of deck under my palm down
hand on a table where previously there was not card. Lots of other examples that make effects more miraculous and yes, risky.

Sure there are risks of being caught or messing up but if gymnast never attempts a risky maneuver at a competition or a quarterback never throws the long bomb for a touchdown they may never win.

Thanks for posting your thoughts on a important topic.
Guilt will betray you before technique betrays you!
Levi Bennett
View Profile
Inner circle
1796 Posts

Profile of Levi Bennett
Thanks David,

That's something else to consider as well in the "what are you willing to try" category. I was hesitant to try Radical Aces for the same reason. There was one part of it I had trouble with for a while, but I finally risked it and reaped a good reward of reactions. It can be scary to take that initial jump for sure.
RobertApodaca
View Profile
Regular user
Henderson, NV
151 Posts

Profile of RobertApodaca
Quote:
On Sep 19, 2022, davidpaul$ wrote:
Levi,
You said something that I always strive for when performing;
"Pushing my boundries" There are risky moves that I avoided for fear of failure. One example was to load a card into someone's pocket without them knowing for an effect that I would perform for them. Another was a card move called the "Top Shot" where I would flick a card undetectabley from the top of deck under my palm down
hand on a table where previously there was not card. Lots of other examples that make effects more miraculous and yes, risky.

Sure there are risks of being caught or messing up but if gymnast never attempts a risky maneuver at a competition or a quarterback never throws the long bomb for a touchdown they may never win.

Thanks for posting your thoughts on a important topic.

Top shot is great and gets great reactions with laymen. I recommend starting with the catching hand closer to the deck, as you improve you will slowly move your hand further and further away.