The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The tricks are on me! :: Where to began? (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
RobertApodaca
View Profile
Regular user
Henderson, NV
151 Posts

Profile of RobertApodaca
Hi friends,

I used to perform regularly some years ago at University. Would like to start performing again, but I feel I no longer have my old venues. I now live in Las Vegas, what is the best approach to starting some volunteer gigs? What should I target? Hospitals? Nursing homes?
bentpenny
View Profile
Loyal user
204 Posts

Profile of bentpenny
Las Vegas, the magic capital! Perhaps try looking into local art events/festivals? These usually are looking for volunteers. You might be able to carve out a role as a magician rather than simply a greeter.
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3531 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Quote:
On Sep 11, 2022, bentpenny wrote:
Las Vegas, the magic capital! Perhaps try looking into local art events/festivals? These usually are looking for volunteers. You might be able to carve out a role as a magician rather than simply a greeter.

Actually, the magic capital is Colon Michigan, home of Abbott's Magic.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10615 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
I was directed to this thread by someone via PM. In another forum, I have provided some information on just this topic - where to get initial performing experience and start performing. Many have found this helpful. If interested, check it out here: https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view......forum=41
Zuzyak
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of Zuzyak
Hi, Robert,

I think the best way to find mentor who recommend you and help with program.
It's good to perform volunteer gigs but better when you sincerely want to please people in a hospital or in a nursing home.
If you don't have mentor just find any order for show for any money and you should show you magic every where street, bar, club, beach ect. for practice and new acquaintances.
Good luck.
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
4389 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Try reaching out to libraries and senior centers.
jericho
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of jericho
IMO, anywhere with kids. Kids LOVE magic if you are skilled at it. But they can spot any apprehension or nervousness pretty easy too. So I would recommend you practice a lot and get the rust off before doing a show.
TomB
View Profile
Veteran user
Michigan, USA
331 Posts

Profile of TomB
Since you use to do universities, why not try that market again?
YardbirdUniversity
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of YardbirdUniversity
Who do you love performing for? Older folks, young? Larger groups or small? Any particular effects you love? I suggest checking out various locations and while you are there looking at the patrons, honestly ask yourself "Would showing these people magic increase the value of their experience here?" If you can frame it as a free value-add for an establishment you can land volunteer gigs all day long. Let me know!!
JDobbs
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of JDobbs
Quote:
On Sep 10, 2022, RobertApodaca wrote:
Hi friends,

I used to perform regularly some years ago at University. Would like to start performing again, but I feel I no longer have my old venues. I now live in Las Vegas, what is the best approach to starting some volunteer gigs? What should I target? Hospitals? Nursing homes?

Check with the local VA Hospital. I know they are always looking for volunteers for entertainment of Magicians, and typically has and Auditoriums so you can try stage, Drawing room, or close-up at most of the large VA Medical Centers.
TomB
View Profile
Veteran user
Michigan, USA
331 Posts

Profile of TomB
Id say try a trick or two at your local ibm or sam club. From there, depending on skill level, you may be asked to do more