The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Tricks & Accessories :: The Crystal Billet Box by David Regal :: TOPIC IS LOCKED (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
Northern California - United States
3783 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
The Crystal Billet Box by David Regal

--------oOo--------

UPDATE: Since my original review Mr.Regal (by popular requests) is now offering a larger version which will hold even more billets, cards, etc. Nice. I have added the additional video below. Now you have two sizes the choose from.

Description / Ad Copy: This is a gimmicked box that has been precision-crafted from thick acrylic that enables a performer to switch a group of billets, force an item, make something appear, make something vanish, and can even be used as a prediction chest.

It comes ready to go, along with a few extras that give the performer some options that further increase its utility.

Watch the video - it is the opposite of a "fancy ad." There's no music or flashy editing. It simply shows you what the Crystal Billet Box is. The box's workings are not discussed in the video but those of you who figure out what's going on will, we think, be even more eager to get one

----------

Magicians have been using boxes to switch, vanish and make objects appear longer than any of us have been alive - that's a fact. The amazing aspect of all this is just how clever and down right brilliant many of these devices have been over the years.
The size of the box or boxes doesn't seem to matter either. For instance, large stage illusions such as P. T. Selbsts' Sawing a Woman in Half, Robert Harbin's Zig-Zag Girl or Chuck Jones' Mismade Girl (to name just a few) have been entertaining audiences for many years and in fact still do. The boxes used appear innocent enough but of course we all know better.

Large stage illusions do not get all the glory of course. Most of the innovation over the years in magicdom using special boxes has generally been on a much smaller scale. Whether we are talking parlor type tricks using Mirror Boxes and the like or boxes designed specifically for close-up applications such as card boxes, prediction chests or billet boxes - the shenanigans employed never seem to end and that's a good thing me thinks.

Having said all of that, the type of box one acquires does of course depend on how we personally think it could best be used in our own performances. Obviously a box for switching cards is of no use to someone who rarely engages in card magic. If mentalism is really not your thing the idea of a billet box is naturally of no interest to you whatsoever. But what if you had a special box that actually was capable of using cards, billets and many other objects? What if this box could be used for close-up, behind a bar, in a parlor setting or even on a grand stage? Interested? Of course you are! Why else would you be reading this review?

Enter magician and creator David Regal and his latest offering The Crystal Billet Box.

Essentially Mr.Regal has taken a very old idea and made it not only multi-functional but also more deceptive. As you can see in the above video demonstration the box is not too small nor is it exceedingly large. Actually its the perfect size and therefore lends itself to multiple venues and environments. Those of you who have been in magic awhile probably have a good idea how the box basically works and you would be correct. But like the ad copy implies that is just one more reason you will want to add this bad boy to your magic arsenal.

Make no mistake, the box is not a magic trick per say but an actual utility device just begging to be used in a variety of situations. Literally your own imagination is the only limit here. But Steve, I don't have a good imagination! No worries, because there are tons of ideas and routines in the magic world where this box is just what the doctor ordered. But Steve, I don't have a magic library to find all these ideas! That's okay too because thankfully Mr.Regal provides a twenty (20) minute instructional video not only explaining the workings of the box proper but ideas for using billets, doing predictions and even causing items such as playing cards, currency, etc. to appear and or vanish.

The Crystal Billet Box truly is insidious but in a good way. Good for you, bad for your audience who will assume the box is innocent. Believe me, an audience will never challenge their own assumptions. Think of it like this; The Pendragons made Sawing A Woman In Half seem even more impossible due to the box appearing to be crystal clear, right? Mr.Regal upped the game in the card to impossible location genre with his Clarity Box. Why? Mainly because the box is crystal clear and is therefore seen as being innocent and free of any sort of trickery. Follow me here?

The Crystal Billet Box is extremely well made and includes absolutely everything you will need to begin amazing your audiences. Mr.Regal has literally left no stone unturned when it comes to thinking this stuff out, believe me. I might be a little biased here since I do own all of Mr.Regal's books and most of his marketed tricks. But then again, there is a reason for that too. The man is simply brilliant. 'Nuff said.

Is there any cons here? Not that I can think of off-hand. As stated previously the box is well made, well packaged and well worth the asking price. The only maintenance you might need to do from time to time is cleaning off any finger prints that are bound to occur over time. The box is, after all, made of see-thru acrylic.

I will end this by simply saying I believe this is a great value, well thought out in every possible way and is certainly worthy of your serious consideration. I do not hesitate in giving The Crystal Billet Box my highest recommendation!

----------

My rating:

Suggested retail: $160.00 USD (plus shipping)

Available directly from DavidRegal.com

The large Crystal Billet Box

Suggested retail: $190.00 USD (plus shipping)

Available directly from DavidRegal.com

Also Available from your favorite dealer!.

Dealers - contact Murphy's Magic Supplies, Inc.
11500 Gold Dredge Way
Rancho Cordova, Ca. 95742
Toll Free Order Line: 1-800-853-7403

Or visit Murphy's website:
Click here!

---

Questions? Comments?

Email: david@davidregal.com

---
"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks