The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Knots and loops :: Billy McComb rope stretch. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2181 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
I’ve seen on video Billy very briefly show his holdout device for stretching a rope. I picked up his millennium lecture notes recently too that contained the stretch, but didn’t tip the work on the device he used. Does anyone know if he, or authors of retrospectives of his work put plans out for the device in any of his other books? The front of the device is a cummerbund to attach it, if that rings any bells to anyone?

Thanks!
AllanK
View Profile
Loyal user
Australia
212 Posts

Profile of AllanK
I have the McComb rope stretch holdout. It was sold and manufactured by Roy Roth. It is a leather panel that is worn on your back that holds the rope in an a "snake-like" arrangement that prevents it from tangling. I haven't used it in years so I don't have it at hand to look at, but it does have a clasp at the front like those used in a cummerbund. It works well, and being made by Roy Roth, was solidly constructed.

Allan
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2181 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
Hey Allan - that’s amazing thank you. I couldn’t find anything on it being released. It looked incredibly well constructed not surprised it’s Roy’s craftmanship. What is the recommended length to go in it? It sits at quite an odd angle? Like titled 45 degrees, is that important?

Thanks!
AllanK
View Profile
Loyal user
Australia
212 Posts

Profile of AllanK
Yes, it does sit at an odd angle. Without going through a lot of crates to find this, I can't really say how long the rope was, but it was plenty long. The rope had to be quite thin - about 3/8 " as I recall - in order to fit the little "sleeves" that held the folded ends of the rope. I just remembered, I had my stretching a rope routine published in the Magigram a few decades ago, and Ken De Courcey wrote the patter. I can't remember which issue it was in, but if I locate it, I'll let you know.

Allan