The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: All in the cards :: Ten Card Poker Deal by Harry Lorayne - Help! (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Pyppo100
View Profile
Regular user
180 Posts

Profile of Pyppo100
I'm studying Harry Lorayne's "Ten Card Poker Deal" effect from both "The Bammo Ten Card Poker Deal Dossier" by Bob Farmer and watching the following video about Harry Lorayne's performance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPhspnS0h_U

In the first two phases I find it critical that the Jonah card always finds itself at the bottom of the pile of five cards distributed to the spectator.

So when the spectator takes the stack and then fans out the cards, he immediately notices the card at the bottom which is the Jonah card.

What do you think?

Thanks!

Best regards
EndersGame
View Profile
Inner circle
Reviewer EndersGame
2201 Posts

Profile of EndersGame
What exactly are you asking here?
Pyppo100
View Profile
Regular user
180 Posts

Profile of Pyppo100
Quote:
On Jul 30, 2022, EndersGame wrote:
What exactly are you asking here?

I was asking for feedback regarding my observation on the position of the Jonah card.

Thanks!

Best regards
Nikodemus
View Profile
Inner circle
1211 Posts

Profile of Nikodemus
Is English your first language? Your observation is very hard (for me - and I guess EndersGame) to understand.
Pyppo100
View Profile
Regular user
180 Posts

Profile of Pyppo100
Quote:
On Jul 30, 2022, Nikodemus wrote:
Is English your first language? Your observation is very hard (for me - and I guess EndersGame) to understand.

NO, I'm Italian ... my idea was, for example for the second phase, to position the Jonah card by means of a mixture so that the spectator would receive it in a different position from the first phase ...
.. sorry if I was unclear ....

Thanks!

Best regards
Pyppo100
View Profile
Regular user
180 Posts

Profile of Pyppo100
Quote:
On Jul 30, 2022, Pyppo100 wrote:
Quote:

NO, I'm Italian ... my idea was, for example for the second phase, to position the Jonah card by means of a mixture so that the spectator would receive it in a different position from the first phase ...

I think that since the Jonah card distributed to the spectator is always the same if it is also found in the same position (among the five hole cards distributed to the spectator) it could make the spectator suspicious ... so by changing position to the Jonah card I could make it less visible to the spectator .... clearly with the 18 poker deal this problem does not arise as the Jonah card changes, it is not unique ...

Thanks!

Best regards
Pyppo100
View Profile
Regular user
180 Posts

Profile of Pyppo100
Quote:
On Jul 30, 2022, Pyppo100 wrote:
Quote:

I think that since the Jonah card distributed to the spectator is always the same if it is also found in the same position (among the five hole cards distributed to the spectator) it could make the spectator suspicious ... so by changing position to the Jonah card I could make it less visible to the spectator .... clearly with the 18 poker deal this problem does not arise as the Jonah card changes, it is not unique ...

Thanks!

Best regards
Nikodemus
View Profile
Inner circle
1211 Posts

Profile of Nikodemus
I think there is such a lot going on in the many phases, she won't notice the position of the Jonah in a couple of the phases.

Also -

The first phase is when Harry deals the cards, so the Jonah does not need to be the first card; it could be any position.

He could have added another phase (which would be the first one dealt by her) in which she simply deals all 10 cards. So, again, the Jonah could be at a different position.

Thereafter, he could start doing the more "Jazzy" options.
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Good example of problems being created where none exist.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
Pyppo100
View Profile
Regular user
180 Posts

Profile of Pyppo100
Quote:
On Jul 31, 2022, Nikodemus wrote:
I think there is such a lot going on in the many phases, she won't notice the position of the Jonah in a couple of the phases.

Also -

The first phase is when Harry deals the cards, so the Jonah does not need to be the first card; it could be any position.

He could have added another phase (which would be the first one dealt by her) in which she simply deals all 10 cards. So, again, the Jonah could be at a different position.

In the first phase, the Jonah card is on top of the stack of cards that is dealt by Harry, so the Jonah card will be on the bottom of the five cards in the spectator's possession.

In summary ... in the first, second, fourth and fifth phase the Jonah card is placed on the bottom of the five cards in the possession of the spectator.

In the third phase the Jonah card is in a random position among the five cards chosen by the spectator and in the sixth and final phase the position of the Jonah card is on top of the five cards dealt by the spectator.

The Jonah card is found at the bottom of the five cards in the spectator's possession four times out of six.

Thanks!

Best regards
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
So?
You're welcome.
Best.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
tenchu
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1140 Posts

Profile of tenchu
Pyppo100, this is a valid question and Darwin Ortiz talks about this in the context of his "Mexican Poker" 10-card poker routine. He put together his routine so there's no spotlight on the Jonah card through the handling, something most published versions at that time had.

Here's a quote from Darwin Ortiz at the Card Table: "Add to this the fact that every time the spectator picks up his hand and sees the same card on the face (the Jonah card), and the mystery is solved."

You're welcome.

Mike
mlippo
View Profile
Inner circle
Trieste (Italy)
1228 Posts

Profile of mlippo
Pyppo100,

you are absolutely right in addressing the fact that in Lorayne's trick, the Jonah card is always the same.
If I may, I'd suggest you to try a different routine, in three phases, but that does not rely on a fixed Jonah .. Woody Aragon's Blessed Poker

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5Jv76G9UOU

It uses more than the usual 10 cards, but it is by far superior to the various routines using just 10 cards, in my opinion.

You can find it in his A Book in English and in the Italian book Cartomagia Fantastica, by Florence Art which contains a good amount of tricks form the aforementioned Book in English.

Mark
mlippo
View Profile
Inner circle
Trieste (Italy)
1228 Posts

Profile of mlippo
Quote:
On Jul 31, 2022, Harry Lorayne wrote:
Good example of problems being created where none exist.

Your reply is a good example of a magician who stops thinking too soon.

Mark
Pyppo100
View Profile
Regular user
180 Posts

Profile of Pyppo100
Quote:
On Aug 2, 2022, mlippo wrote:
Pyppo100,

you are absolutely right in addressing the fact that in Lorayne's trick, the Jonah card is always the same.
If I may, I'd suggest you to try a different routine, in three phases, but that does not rely on a fixed Jonah .. Woody Aragon's Blessed Poker

It uses more than the usual 10 cards, but it is by far superior to the various routines using just 10 cards, in my opinion.

You can find it in his A Book in English and in the Italian book Cartomagia Fantastica, by Florence Art which contains a good amount of tricks form the aforementioned Book in English.

Mark

At first glance it reminds me of Nick Trost's "Eighteen Card Poker" effect.

I also find Bruce Berstein's "Psych Out" effect very nice (which I discovered in this forum) which always uses eighteen cards.

The discussion, however, is on the "Ten Card Poker Deal" which uses only one Jonah card ... interesting is the observation of tenchu regarding the effect of Darwin Ortiz which confirms my doubts ...

Thanks!

Best regards
mlippo
View Profile
Inner circle
Trieste (Italy)
1228 Posts

Profile of mlippo
Quote:
On Aug 2, 2022, Pyppo100 wrote:
Quote:
Pyppo100,

Mark

At first glance it reminds me of Nick Trost's "Eighteen Card Poker" effect.

I also find Bruce Berstein's "Psych Out" effect very nice (which I discovered in this forum) which always uses eighteen cards.

The discussion, however, is on the "Ten Card Poker Deal" which uses only one Jonah card ... interesting is the observation of tenchu regarding the effect of Darwin Ortiz which confirms my doubts ...

Thanks!

Best regards

You are right about Trost's routine.
I guess it was an inspiration to many.

I have switched to Aragon's. So much better l think.

Mark
mlippo
View Profile
Inner circle
Trieste (Italy)
1228 Posts

Profile of mlippo
Quote:

.. interesting is the observation of tenchu regarding the effect of Darwin Ortiz which confirms my doubts ...

Thanks!

Best regards

Trust me ... Darwin Ortiz knows very well what he's talking about ...

Mark
Pyppo100
View Profile
Regular user
180 Posts

Profile of Pyppo100
Quote:
Quote:

.. interesting is the observation of tenchu regarding the effect of Darwin Ortiz which confirms my doubts ...

Mark

I have the book "The Bammo Ten Card Poker Deal Dossier" but unfortunately of the Mexican Poker effect by Darwin Ortiz there are only indicated the various phases but the tutorial is not present: do you know if it requires dexterity of hand?

Thanks!

Best regards
mlippo
View Profile
Inner circle
Trieste (Italy)
1228 Posts

Profile of mlippo
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Mark

I have the book "The Bammo Ten Card Poker Deal Dossier" but unfortunately of the Mexican Poker effect by Darwin Ortiz there are only indicated the various phases but the tutorial is not present: do you know if it requires dexterity of hand?

Thanks!

Best regards

I sent ya a second PM
Pyppo100
View Profile
Regular user
180 Posts

Profile of Pyppo100
Quote:
On Jul 31, 2022, Nikodemus wrote:

Also -

OK, Thanks!.. I am also reflecting on the last phase, when the entire deck of cards is handed to the spectator for the distribution of the first ten cards from the top: in this case, could the spectator not think that he will still deal the same ten cards he had previously shuffled?

Thanks!
Best regards