The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Lights...camera...action! :: Hart to Hart - Murder Up Their Sleeve (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
pulpscrypt
View Profile
Special user
Within the shadows
587 Posts

Profile of pulpscrypt
This is about Magic on television.

I love vintage TV and am currently enjoying rebroadcasts of "Hart to Hart" starring Robert Wagner and Stephanie Powers. In the episode titled "Murder Up Their Sleeve," also guest starring Blackstone Jr, a good deal of the show takes place in an Magic Castle like place called the Magic Palace.

The show is a lot of fun (but nowhere near todays standards in writing or acting).But I have to wonder why it wasn't filmed in the actual Castle?

Anyone know if it was just a production issue and easier to film the show at the studios (which seems most likely). But then why not use the real Castle at least for the exterior?

Just interested if anyone knows the story behind the pisode.

Thanks
jericho
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of jericho
My parents loved Heart to Heart. I used to watch it with them as a child. Haven't seen that show in years but I imagine it was easier to make a set of a magic shop rather than film on location in a place that wasn't set up as a studio.
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2604 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
Typically it’s about control. Lights, sound, convince, etc. There are so many reasons they prefer to use an existing sound stage. Plus the location fees, honey wagons, catering, dressing room trailers all; add up more than you might imagine. I was the Magic Director of so many shows years ago. The Flash, Lois & Clark, Amen, The Bob Newhart Show, Rough Magic, The Big Moment, The Jamie Fox Show, Step By Step, Wings, Late Night with David Letterman, Madam’s Place, Fantasy Island, etc. There are so many production elements that go into all of their decisions of where to shoot.
Ray Pierce