The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Magicians of old :: Magic Ronnay - Who is/was he? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Papa Legba
View Profile
Special user
home-an unremarkable spiral arm of an insignificant galaxy
750 Posts

Profile of Papa Legba
Seen this magician credited and mentioned a few times but know nothing about him. Does anybody have any information?
Use the FORCE Luke.
Russo
View Profile
Inner circle
So.California / Centl.Florida / retired Florida
1177 Posts

Profile of Russo
WHO ???????????????????
Papa Legba
View Profile
Special user
750 Posts

Profile of Papa Legba
Magic Ronnay, it's in the thread's title.
Use the FORCE Luke.
bobmag56
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of bobmag56
Many years ago at a major USA magic convention, Magic Ronnay had a dealer’s booth selling many packet tricks. I think I bought about 5? Some of his packet tricks were also sold by Emerson & West and Micky Hades. Some titles were Sympathetic Cards, Alpine Travelers, and Wild Wild 2000. His effects had very excellent thorough instructions. One set of instructions said he was from Vienna and his name was Franz Rosensteiner. Bob
Papa Legba
View Profile
Special user
750 Posts

Profile of Papa Legba
Quote:
On Apr 14, 2022, bobmag56 wrote:
Many years ago at a major USA magic convention, Magic Ronnay had a dealer’s booth selling many packet tricks. I think I bought about 5? Some of his packet tricks were also sold by Emerson & West and Micky Hades. Some titles were Sympathetic Cards, Alpine Travelers, and Wild Wild 2000. His effects had very excellent thorough instructions. One set of instructions said he was from Vienna and his name was Franz Rosensteiner. Bob

Intersting stuff Bob, many thanks.
Use the FORCE Luke.
Papa Legba
View Profile
Special user
750 Posts

Profile of Papa Legba
Use the FORCE Luke.
bobmag56
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of bobmag56
Papa Legba, glad that my information helped you to find further information on Magic Ronnay. His packet card tricks are really very good! I also recall buying from him a mental card effect with special laminated cards and a marking pen. Bob
Papa Legba
View Profile
Special user
750 Posts

Profile of Papa Legba
Quote:
Papa Legba, glad that my information helped you to find further information on Magic Ronnay. His packet card tricks are really very good! I also recall buying from him a mental card effect with special laminated cards and a marking pen. Bob

Do you recall the name of the effect or the working bob?
Use the FORCE Luke.
bobmag56
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of bobmag56
Hi, I sent you a private message. Bob
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1913 Posts

Profile of Anatole
Mac Ronay (note the spelling) has a brief bio at the GENII MagicPedia:
http://geniimagazine.com/wiki/index.php?title=Mac_Ronay

Mac appeared on ABC's "Hollywood Palace" at about the 41:55 spot of this youtube video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kz7qCqwgmXs

----- Amado "Sonny Narvaez
----- Sonny Narvaez
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1913 Posts

Profile of Anatole
By the way, I was not happy that Mac Ronay exposed the Rising Wand in Bottle. It fooled some of the people in the audience when he did it--untIl he "accidentally" exposed It. When I started learning magic as a boy in the 1950's, I fooled my brothers and sister with that trick. Yes, I know it's taught in many beginners' magic books. But so is the sponge balls--and anyone curious enough to want to know has to find a children's magic book and at least go to the effort of reading it.

And I don't buy the argument that "magicians guard an empty safe." How would David Copperfield and Jim Steinmeyer feel if someone exposed some of the tricks that David performed in his shows? The safe is _not_ empty. It contains all the elements for creating a sense of wonder.

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
----- Sonny Narvaez
antonuccio
View Profile
Regular user
Italy
132 Posts

Profile of antonuccio
Sorry, but Magic Ronnay and Mac Ronay are (were) not the same person.
FrankFindley
View Profile
Inner circle
1047 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
Quote:

Yeah. He exploded on the scene in the late seventies when he released an awesome packet trick card camouflage. The patter had a military theme which was quite timely given the cold war. He was also big into ESP cards and had a booklet with Wilbur Katner called Ultrasensory Connection. It had a complete ESP routine with a half dozen effects. Again, very timely for the times.