The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Up in smoke! :: Smoke in Wine Glass (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
slyhand
View Profile
Inner circle
Good ole Virginia
1908 Posts

Profile of slyhand
Hello.
I am looking for a good way to have a wine glass fill with smoke either covered with a cloth or not. Either way it must seem magical and not just me openly squirting smoke into it. I have seen the glass with the obvious e-cig stem. Not interested in that one. I would also prefer the glass be upright and not inverted, though I can work around an upside down glass.
Anyway, any suggestions would be appreciated.
I am getting so tired of slitting the throats of people who say that I am a violent psychopath.

Alec
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2604 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
Maybe I’m being simplistic but isn’t this a VERY old and simple effect? The standard method for all the years I remember was swirling the glass with ammonia, then pouring it out. A porous cardboard coaster would have HCL (Hydrochloric Acid) on it so when the coaster was placed over the glass as it was covered with the handkerchief, the chemical reaction would create smoke in the glass. Obviously the chemicals must be handled VERY carefully and not allowed to touch or come together, and yes, the smoke is toxic and should be released in an open area like on stage, not in a crowded bar. A slightly less toxic version is used in the film and television industry as A/B Smoke. You can get that here. https://rogergeorge.com/products/a-b-smoke
Ray Pierce
slyhand
View Profile
Inner circle
Good ole Virginia
1908 Posts

Profile of slyhand
Thank you, Ray. But I need non toxic smoke and one where I can do it in the middle of my show.

I may have a solution. I am purchasing Sun Smoke Pro. I'll attach it to the back of a deck of cards. Put the deck in the glass and away I go. Not sure if I'll cover it with a cloth first.
I am getting so tired of slitting the throats of people who say that I am a violent psychopath.

Alec
MR Effecto
View Profile
Inner circle
2837 Posts

Profile of MR Effecto
Smoke pro has a kit that comes with the unit. It’s a hanky you put the smoke unit in and it fills a wine glass.
MR Effecto
View Profile
Inner circle
2837 Posts

Profile of MR Effecto
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3531 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Whether or not it is still available, Rocco had put out a Smoke in Wineglass in the 90's. It was a stage only piece of apparatus but was pretty.
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2334 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Quote:
On Sep 28, 2022, Wravyn wrote:
Whether or not it is still available, Rocco had put out a Smoke in Wineglass in the 90's. It was a stage only piece of apparatus but was pretty.

I don't remember Rocco's , but I do remember Vito Lupo's version which was briefly marketed , but is no longer available. However they sometimes show up for sale on used magic sites.

You can see him using it in this video:

https://youtu.be/StOY1eMFUoU?t=277

An important detail: If you watch the whole act , notice that Vito uses an identical looking wine glass earlier in his act for the Egg trick , which is handled very openly as an ordinary glass ... then later in the act when he brings out the glass from his table, the audience has already been conditioned to accept the glass as "just a glass". Some may even think it's the same glass , because they've probably forgotten by that time that he had broken an egg into the glass earlier on.

I do the same if I ever use a gimmicked glass ... I'll have a duplicate un-gimmicked glass that I use at some point for a different purpose , but it's handled so casually and easily that when the gimmicked glass is used later on many will unconsciously assume it's the same glass they saw openly handled before.

Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3531 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
David, thank you. You are correct, it was Vito Lupo. My apologies to both for my memory lapse.