The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The Good News! :: Approaching pastor to do magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
upnxrawk
View Profile
New user
100 Posts

Profile of upnxrawk
Hello,
New here in the Café and wanted to get advice on the best way to approach my pastor on maybe doing magic for the congregation. Any tips on routines or how one should go about this would be greatly appreciated. God bless and thanks in advance.
Billy
Russo
View Profile
Inner circle
So.California / Centl.Florida / retired Florida
1177 Posts

Profile of Russo
Where -when- who -age(?) - are you ? LOL - Hi, I'm 85, in June. 75 years in Magic as an A-Vocation. When I became an adult and had my own family, reg. Job paid for Medical, Holiday,Vacation, retirement, etc. Even though often made more with gigs , saved and helps with retirement(Just some advise). Didn't charge Churches, said it was a Gift from God and what ever they offer'd. Was a welfare child and did shows to help Mom & Sis. How did I get into Gospel Magic ? Every summer was sent to a Camp. Once to Salvation Army Camp. Councilor asked me if I was going up at the "call"? As my Grandfather was a Pastor told Councilor, I always was Believer. After a discussion - realized I was worshiping my Grandfathers God, not my own Saviour. Well of course HE is from then on. OK, at the time I was afraid of the Power of Satan. The Councilor gave me a card, 1st. Corinthians 10:13. Read It. In my Show I did an Escape Effect. WOW- I put together a Bible Verse Act. Using the '20th Century Silk effect, a "Witnessing effect". Spot Card, "Not trying to trick you" and a few others. How to approach your Pastor. Easy if He know you like to do Magic - Not Magic, illustrations. Tell Him your idea of illustrating Bible Verses with Illusion Effects. It should work. Haven't done much lately Covid isolation. Do Vent. (lighter to carry, Ha Ha Ha ). Can look up my scrips and offer more. a Simi life story - now yours. Oh OH just realize I should have put this to you by a 'pm' - oh well othere can enjoy. Next will be by 'pm' - Blessing Ralph.
upnxrawk
View Profile
New user
100 Posts

Profile of upnxrawk
I'm just hoping maybe at a social function for the church to maybe do a few bible related tricks. Not at service or anything like that which may detract. I'm 40 right note and most of my family attend and know I do magic (only as a hobbyist). Don't think anybody else at the church has a clue. Didn't know if it would be something they might enjoy and a useful tool to help spread His message. Been religious my entire life for the most part. Just curious as to other's thoughts about it. Hope I answered the 4 w's and 1 h lol
Billy
Mark Boody Illusionist
View Profile
Inner circle
1368 Posts

Profile of Mark Boody Illusionist
What small groups are you participating in at your church?
AWANA?
Childrens church?
Adult bible study?
A good way is to have a one on one meeting with your pastor and explain that you would like to
use your "talent" further the Kingdom of Christ. You might have something prepared to show.

If you can put your hands on a copy of Duane Laflin's Greater Gospel Magic that would certainly
help to answer a lot of questions regarding performing at church.
This is an endeavor that should NOT be taken lightly.

I think there are more questions than answers at this point.

Mark
Only he who can see the invisible can do the impossible. Frank L. Gaines
wwhokie1
View Profile
Special user
513 Posts

Profile of wwhokie1
First, find out if your church is pro or con concerning Christian Magician. IF your pastor is against the idea of Christians doing magic, then I would drop the idea. Since it is the church you attend I would assume you can probably already answer this question and likely already know the church is not against magicians. At that point simply talk to your pastor about your desire. Most pastors love people coming and volunteering to use their talents within the church. I would hope they would be able to point you to opportunities at that point. Then it is just a matter of providing a quality performance and you will become frustrated trying to find new material because you will be asked to perform many times for the same crowd. But that should be a nice problem.
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
I like Russo's and Mark Boody's response.

I think it would be good for you to clarify why *you* want to perform for the church?

Duane Laflin's Greater Gospel Magic book would be a good start to answering that "why" question - he discusses the different types of Gospel Magicians/magic.

In general, I would start out by doing a show for children (e.g.; AWANA. Unless you are a seasoned performer, I think performing for children would be a good "on ramp".

For myself, when I heard that my church was going to have a booth at a street fair, I just had a brief discussion with the pastor, and he was open to me participating. I had an oversize $100 bill that I used to attract people's attention (money has that affect on people Smile). If they came over (it only took a few minutes before someone did), I did a trick with it, and quoted to Mt 6:19ff as I did the trick. If they were open to more, I did a TT/silk trick that illustrated the Gospel. Yet, for this approach, you need to be comfortable talking and engaging people in conversation.

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8815 Posts

Profile of harris
Praise & Worship music and small groups were my way of getting to know the pastor.
A few years later -- --- I do ministry & mental health talks at churches around our area.
They include testimony, music and illusion.
Connections and relationships are crucial in and out of magic.
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Ihop
View Profile
Inner circle
Glen Spey, NY
1604 Posts

Profile of Ihop
Some pastors may be OK with it some not. Just be straight with the pastor and ask directly.
I was teaching Computers in a Catholic grade school and did a magic trick for the class whenever they behaved.
One of the children told a nun"Mr. Lukiw performs miracles". You can imagine her response.

My children went to a different Catholic school and the priest that taught Religion Class did magic tricks for the kids.
They called him Father Magic.
You never know.
Ihor
Russo
View Profile
Inner circle
So.California / Centl.Florida / retired Florida
1177 Posts

Profile of Russo
So True -- do you have any pancakes ??? The LORD gave me a GOOD SPIRIT and Humor ??????. Bless you. Ralph