The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The little darlings :: giving away too much? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
madmanmike1
View Profile
New user
Canada (Ontario)
94 Posts

Profile of madmanmike1
Hi all,
Alright I have done a couple childrens party's and am now getting the hang of it. I do have one concern though, am I giving away too much? 1. I teach all the children the jumping rubber bands, is this trick one I should keep secret do you think? does anyone have a better trick to teach the kids 2.(this is my biggest concern)If the parent wishes it I present the birthday child with a magic kit. my concern is that this kit includes in it three major tricks including PROFESSERS NIGHTMARE!! a trick I do in my show myself.

should I be concerned, should I find another magic kit, how whold you select the kit you sell?

Magic Mike
"it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide!"
Pokie-Poke
View Profile
Special user
Bensalem, PA
883 Posts

Profile of Pokie-Poke
the fact that you do one of the tricks is a tricky bit but what are you woried about, I bet the kit you give out is not that expencive and the parents could just as easly pick it up them selvs. 99% of those kits will end up in the back of a draw or the bottem of a toy box.
that ONE% will be HERE in a few years, saying how GREAT you were. Smile
the information is out there, but if this still bothers you, maby just one trick, and the same one so you don't go spreding too mutch info Smile
www.pokie-poke.com
The Adventure cont...
THOR
View Profile
New user
No. California
69 Posts

Profile of THOR
I always teach the kids one trick when I do a kids show. Something simple that I actually perform in the show. And something that has already been severly exposed!
I want them to know what I do is just entertaining tricks and not something 'supernatural'.

I don't think giving out a magic kit is a bad idea at all.

thor
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
How many time have you bought a trick from a lecture for it only to sit on the shelf or in a box or drawer because it just never came out like you saw it done. This is true for the Professor's nightmare. Those little guys that truly want to be a magician, the future magicians will learn those tricks and you may have been the person who sparked the next great magician.

Do not be concerned with the magic kit. Simple tricks are fine, it is the presentation that really makes them wonderful super tricks. Besides many of them can be purchased at local stores or magic shops. You are not giving away the store, you are sparking the imagination of our youth, the dream of being a real magician. Allow them that moment you once had. You will be remembered for it for life!
Dennis Michael
ecno
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of ecno
Very well said, DenDowhy.
johnpert
View Profile
Veteran user
Ontario, Canada
322 Posts

Profile of johnpert
Although I agree with most of the points, I have to say that some of the magic kits share some good info. Perhaps a little book could be given with a series of simple tricks (Morrissey Magic-Toronto Canada) sells them as well as many others. Or you can make your own with a few tricks and give them out at little workshops. For me, I prefer to show simple stuff, give some direcetion, and if they are interested in more, come see me for further help or direction to better resources. Why should wejust "give" the secrets out. I think the kids should have to "earn" something. It increases the value of everthing, creates ownership and pride in what they know. Today, kids are given to many "hand-outs."

In my booklet, I teach some simple card tricks that use dice (ex: roll 3 dice, add up top and bottom of each... = 21, count to the 21st card and it matches my prediction and it is a totally "random" number. Or, from Dicky Dean's book "the Five pile" 4 fives are placed in one pile face down, 5 random cards in another file face down. A prediction is made, and regardless of the pile picked, it is always the five pile. Those are simple tricks to develop some interest. If they want more and really like it, I always suggest the library. They can go there on their own for help. Some of the stuff I have in my little booklet of 2 pages is just funny joke gags.

In final, kids should not be given the secrets as a "hand-out". I think we should avoid this where possible. Lead them to the door (spark interest, simple things), and if they want in, they can open the door and look for more (cups and balls, prof nightmare, linking rings, thumbtip, etc.).

Just my thoughts,

John