The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Polly wants a cracker... :: Dove Tray (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Bairefoot
View Profile
Inner circle
1097 Posts

Profile of Bairefoot
LJust wondering does the ballon to dove tray play well in a professional stage show? Does the audience like it? Thank you.
top_illusionist
View Profile
Regular user
USA
146 Posts

Profile of top_illusionist
A retired dove worker in California use to have it in his act at private parties. The kid's seem to enjoy it and go wild. The only drawback is that sometimes you get a few of them shouting at you to do it again. On a stage setting, you wouldn't have that problem but I think the trick goes over so quick that it might be a non-memorable effect.

For that reason, I think Rick Thomas used it as his opening trick. The bird cage works on the same principle as the dove tray.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2t0IrkIQS_I

-------
HISTORY:

DOVE PRODUCTION CAGE

Based on a concept by Rick Thomas and brought into reality by Richard Hughes in 1988. A beautiful circular chrome bar cage about 12” high and 10” in diameter is freely spun while holding the cage’s top ring. In a flash of light, a dove appears.

This is a custom prop made to troupe with lots of little extras that will give that unique touch to your act. The base is deceptively thin. Not one but two photo flashes insure the faultless performance of this effect every time. One bar breaks open to allow immediate removal of the dove. The ring is mounted in a ball bearing race to give a smooth spinning action. Produced in very limited quantities. Custom ATA case available.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4860 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Quote:
DOVE PRODUCTION CAGE

Based on a concept by Rick Thomas and brought into reality by Richard Hughes in 1988. A beautiful circular chrome bar cage about 12” high and 10” in diameter is freely spun while holding the cage’s top ring. In a flash of light, a dove appears.
The dove production cage that Rick Thomas uses was made by Richard Hughes but uses fire, not light flashes. The fire version is no longer made

The dove tray that this topic is about works just fine in any setting but in a stage setting, needs to be combined with other dove effects rather than being a stand alone effect. There are many version of the effect. Dove in balloon is one. Another is to have a clear box placed on top of the tray and the dove made to appear inside the box. Another popular version is gloves to dove. Works the same as the dove in balloon. Toss your gloves onto the tray and produce the dove. This version isn't as popular as it used to be as not many magicians perform in full dress with gloves. Regardless of the version, it does play well.

When I was performing, I used the tray as a table top to hold another prop. That threw off some of the suspicion and provided a reason to have it in the first place.
Where the magic begins
Bairefoot
View Profile
Inner circle
1097 Posts

Profile of Bairefoot
Thanks for all the help. Is anyone here have a Richard Hughes dove production cage. That they might sell. Richard does't have these in stock he has to make them. So if someone here is not using theirs I am interested in maybe buying theirs.
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2334 Posts

Profile of David Todd
I used to have a Chalet version of the tray. I agree with Dave Scibner that it's important to use it as a table (attach a table base tripod to it with a flange on the bottom) that you will use throughout your act as a small side table or if you have an assistant then it can be a tray that the assistant uses to carry items on and off . But don't just bring it on to do the one effect (balloon to dove) and then not use it again. It should be perceived as a utility tray or table , not as a stand-alone prop.

I am by no means an experienced "dove worker" so I'm talking out of my depth here, but I have seen magicians do a no-tray version where a balloon is blown up and held between the hands , then it pops and a dove appears. If I were going to do a balloon to dove effect today I think I would tend to seek out that sort of method (perhaps in one of the volumes of Ian Adair's Encyclopedia of Dove Magic?)
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4860 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Quote:
I am by no means an experienced "dove worker" so I'm talking out of my depth here, but I have seen magicians do a no-tray version where a balloon is blown up and held between the hands, then it pops and a dove appears. If I were going to do a balloon to dove effect today I think I would tend to seek out that sort of method (perhaps in one of the volumes of Ian Adair's Encyclopedia of Dove Magic?)

I guess you could say I am an experienced dove worker. This is a standard dove production. The method is the same as most dove productions. Basically introducing a balloon instead of flash paper, silk, newspaper etc.

Bairefoot, you might want to check out this topic

https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view......forum=13
Where the magic begins
Bairefoot
View Profile
Inner circle
1097 Posts

Profile of Bairefoot
Thanks everyone.
Kingry
View Profile
Elite user
Virginia
464 Posts

Profile of Kingry
I have an old abbotts I have used in every show for over 40 years.
61magic
View Profile
Special user
Sacramento California
775 Posts

Profile of 61magic
I used the model turned on its side with the picture of a dove on the surface, once the production was made the picture was gone.
The dove appears to come right from the picture, kids and adults both love the effect. You can do it with a small hand flasher to add to the effect.
Professor J. P. Fawkes
John T. Sheets
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, USA
1105 Posts

Profile of John T. Sheets
I used the Balloon to Dove tray for many years, performing it in nightclubs and stage shows through the front range. The audiences always loved it. I have both a Chalet model, and Abbott’s model. Both are well made. Hope this helps!!
www.johnTsheets.com

See the "Quantum Bender 3.0" trailer here... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkTVw9FjonE

See my Dove Act here... https://youtu.be/Ms7_u46Qpp0

See the "Energy Bender" trailer here... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpJOfL0k8xA

See the "Table of Death" in Las Vegas trailer here... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YivizLAKD7I
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7669 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
John Sheets has #3 of the cages. I have only built 17 to date. I am working on making four more right now. I suspect this will be the last of them. I last made them over nine years ago. The work involved and the cost of materials have really taken it's toll on making these. One is for sure, you definitely will have something that not everyone has.
Dove trays still work with the lay audience. I have a chalet that I never used. I don't know what George used for glue but it rotted the fabric so I had to recover it. It is an electronic sound activated model. I don't think too many of them were made.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Nachtzehrer
View Profile
Veteran user
Portugal
324 Posts

Profile of Nachtzehrer
Don't do ballon to dove. The ballon pops right on top of the dove. Its a loud bang and it Will get your dove deaf. There are a lot of other productions
Alex
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
I've only used it about 45 years! Mine is sound actuated by Challet.

IT kills!
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4860 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Quote:
On Feb 9, 2023, Nachtzehrer wrote:
Don't do ballon to dove. The ballon pops right on top of the dove. Its a loud bang and it Will get your dove deaf. There are a lot of other productions

Not sure what version you are using but the balloon is on one side of the flap and the dove on the other. The balloon has popped long before the dove makes it's appearance. I've used mine for as many years as Bob has and haven't had to buy hearing aids for my doves yet. LOL
Where the magic begins