The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Smooth as silk :: Anybody know Dick Oslund's Method for Rolling up a 18" Silk (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
jamesmwood
View Profile
Regular user
Buda, Texas (near Austin)
113 Posts

Profile of jamesmwood
Hi,

I'm trying to learn Dick Oslund's 20th Century Silk routine from his book, aided by a video of him in performance. There is one detail that I just can't get. As part of the procedure for vanishing the silk, he places the silk so it is hanging over his left palm. He gives the silk a twist with his right hand, and then rubs his palms together to roll the silk into a ball. For the life of me, I can' figure out how he managed to get the 18" silk to roll quickly and neatly into a ball -- there must be a subtlety here I do not understand. Dick was my mentor, but he passed before he taught me this detail of his routine. Is there anybody on the list who knows how Dick rolled up the silk and can share this info with me? Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim Wood
Jim Wood
jawood@utep.edu
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
I used to have 999 posts, now I have
1625 Posts

Profile of JNeal
Jim, the 'roll' vanish is not easily learned. take a silk and put a small knot in one corner... (later on, you can eliminate the knot). This knot will allow the rest of the silk to form a bundle around it. the knot is place in the 'crotch' of the left thumb... where it joins the rest of the hand. With the right hand, apply pressure to the knot while rubbing the hands together in a clock wise direction. This will cause the silk to wind up around the knot.Eventually, the entire silk will be in the left hand.

This is well explained in Volume 1 of the silk encyclopedia. Send me an email and I will send you the relevant pages.
visit me @ JNealShow.com
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1916 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
JNeal:

Thank you for sharing this. In all my years with Dick Oslund he never showed this to me.

I miss Dick very much. He was special.

jameswood: I hope that this helps you.
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2338 Posts

Profile of David Todd
As JNeal points out , it is described clearly in Volume 1 of Rice's Encyclopedia of Silk Magic (If I recall, it's also taught on one of Duane Laflin's silk magic DVDs).

Quote:
For the life of me, I can' figure out how he managed to get the 18" silk to roll quickly and neatly into a ball

Keep in mind , performing it in multiple shows per week for many years is a factor in making it appear effortless.

JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
1625 Posts

Profile of JNeal
Tenkai's handling of the transfer from the left hand to secretly concealing it in the right hand... takes this move to the next level.

It is well explained in " The thoughts of Tenkai" by Masatoshi Furota (1971)
visit me @ JNealShow.com
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2338 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Quote:
On Jan 9, 2022, JNeal wrote:
Tenkai's handling of the transfer from the left hand to secretly concealing it in the right hand... takes this move to the next level.

It is well explained in " The thoughts of Tenkai" by Masatoshi Furota (1971)

I don't have that book, but is this the same handling described in Genii March 1958 as "Tenkai's Surprise Silk Vanish" ?
(in the Genii digital archive, it's page 240 of the March 1958 issue, which is Vol. 22 No. 7)
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
1625 Posts

Profile of JNeal
Yes it is!! It's a bit better explained in the Book... but th gist is the same.
visit me @ JNealShow.com
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
This technic most likely comes from an old street betcha game of chance, to make money from the not wise people. The carney crook would put a ball on his left palm. Then he would place his right palm over the ball, trapping it between the hands. Then he would roll the ball between the palms. The left fingers are straightened out with the ball still between the palms. the right fingers are straightened out as well.

You hands are in a position like when you clap your hands together. Left fingers toward the audience, and right fingers toward the ceiling or sky.

Now apply pressure between the palms, trapping the ball or silk knot between them. If you have dry hands, you might have to lick you palms, so the silk or ball will move between the palms. You make a rotating circular movement. Start slowly then increase the speed. The silk will roll on itself into a ball.

Now get ready to snatch the ball with the right hand. What would happen if you separated your hands, well the ball would fall to the floor. How do you prevent this from happening. Easy, your right fingers close into a fist around the ball or silk ball. Your left hand does the same, only you have nothing in the fist. This is don very quickly, and the hands separate. Hold your fists into the air. Say the magic word, handkerchief begone, or reach with the right hand to your table and pick up a wand, and drop the silk in a well in the table, unseen. You can also ditch it in your right pocket for w00ffle dust. Now open your left fist the silk is gone. Open your right hand, nothing there. Now, reproduce the silk from wherever you wish. It is a snatch motion with both hands at the same time.

It's all about circular motions between the hand, apply as much pressure between the palms to get the material to move and start rolling into a ball.

When you place the silk in the right hand, the silk will hand from your left hand, and dangle. As you roll the hands, the silk will gradually be taken inside the clasped hands as they make the circular motion. Hold you hands up in the air at shoulder height.

The process is just like making dough balls.

I hope you understand my explanation, it is really very simple and fun to perform.

I wish people would stop overthinking the instructions for magic tricks. I use this with my Fire cracker trick, with a spectator next to me as helper.
jamesmwood
View Profile
Regular user
113 Posts

Profile of jamesmwood
Jon, Bill & David,

Many thanks for your very helpful advice, and for taking the time to write out a detailed response! You have given me just what I need to get started and I greatly appreciate it.

Jim
Jim Wood
jawood@utep.edu
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Jim Wood, Of all the members I have tried to help since 2008, none but you have said they have read the posts, or thanked me and others for assistance.

So it is whole heartedly appreciated for your Thank You response.