The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: A turn of the page :: L&L Book Division? (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1913 Posts

Profile of Anatole
What options for publishing companies are there for someone who wants to publish a magic book?

After having helped several other magicians publish books of their tricks and routines through companies like Micky Hades, KEE-West, and L&L, I've decided it's time for me to publish a book of my own material drawn from my contributions to _GENII_, Linking Ring_, various smaller periodicals, and my lectures. Apparently Murphy's Magic now owns the rights to L&L's instructional videos, but I don't see any info about physical books. Has print publishing of magic books become extinct?

I suppose one option would be self-publishing. Has anyone had good experiences in that are and can recommend a self-publishing company that has quality services?

Magical regards,
Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
Illustrator of
_M.I.N.T. Marlo in the New TOPS_ by Ed Marlo
_The Collected Works of Alex Elmsley_ by Stephen Minch
_With Deck in Hand_ by Roger Sherman
Impossibilia_ by John Bannon
----- Sonny Narvaez
Greg Kiefer
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of Greg Kiefer
You may want to reach out to landmark as he is a member here. There is a excellent hardback magic book by Gerald Deutsch; Perverse Magic the first 16 years. He published the book with help from lulu publishing. Check out lulu.com. I have no financial interest or ties with lulu. I first became familiar with this site when Michael Close published a softcover book of jokes years ago.
ekins
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon
513 Posts

Profile of ekins
If you self-publish there are basically two options; print on demand and bulk printing. Lulu is print on demand, where you provide the content in a form they can consume, and when someone orders a book they print and ship it.

The other option is to find a printer and have a number of books printed and delivered to you. You then do the fulfillment when an order is placed. John Carney has done the second method with most of his books. With this approach, you have a lot more flexibility on what the final product will look like and if you do the fulfillment yourself, keep the full retail price for yourself. You can also choose to wholesale through a magic dealer who would do the fulfillment but then you're making the wholesale price.

-Brian
atkinsod
View Profile
Regular user
VA
196 Posts

Profile of atkinsod
Magician Tom Stone has a shareware (name your own price) ebook on self publishing, available here: https://wargmagic.com/shop/ebook/self-publishing/. I've not read it, so I can't give it an endorsement, but Tom's magic is certainly good!