The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Flavors from the past... :: House of Enchantment- Clearwater FL (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
GlennLawrence
View Profile
Veteran user
Randolph NJ
322 Posts

Profile of GlennLawrence
Does anyone remember this shop? It's where it all started for me when I was living down there around 1983. A couple of high school buddies and I were looking for something to do and we decided on a lark to head to "lovely" downtown Clearwater where this shop was located in an old historical Victorian house, perfect setting for a magic shop! I already had an interest in magic and I recall the guy in the Shop, Bob something or other, had that classic magician look with the handlebar moustache and all. I still remember buying Color Monte, Sponge balls and maybe one other thing. He demonstrated Hotrod which I thought was cool but I didn't buy. A little while later the shop moved to a far less impressive store front location where I would hang out every now and then. Unfortunately it closed down a few years later and as far as I know there hasn't been another brick and mortar shop in Clearwater. There was Martinelz in St Pete but that also went by the wayside eventually, never made it to that one. Good times but geez it feels like a lifetime ago!
Bremner
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of Bremner
Glenn,

Only shops around the area now are The Magic Emporium in Tampa and Merlin’s Magic Shop in New Port Richey.
Russo
View Profile
Inner circle
So.California / Centl.Florida / retired Florida
1177 Posts

Profile of Russo
Glenn, from New Jersey (?) asking about Magic Shops in Florida ??? 'Google' - "Magic Shops in Florida" - Several. Also google 'same' for any other area.
MakenU1der
View Profile
New user
Clearwater, Florida
4 Posts

Profile of MakenU1der
I TOO went to the House of Enchantment! I went there SO much that owner Jim Kulow and Bob Davy, that's the guy that sold you all that magic stuff, became good friends of mine. Bob Davey still lives in the area and is on my facebook. I agree that the shop lost it's charm when it moved to Cleveland Street. That old house is still in Clearwater but has been moved to a new lot and is another business now. If you went to the Cleveland St. location then you very much you would have inevitably met me and shop manager and demoer Cliff Wiggs, now of proline magic and then Rich Massey took over and whom later on bought Martinelz Shop that was in downtown St. Pete he was killed in a tragic car accident in early 2000s unfortunately. The only brick and mortar shop left is Merlin's and it's not really open for business as the owner has another job and it's really just a passion project for him when he feels like opening, kinda the theme for most magic shops. I think every city needs a good magic shop. Here's a link to a historical photo of the shop! https://outlet.historicimages.com/products/adj75
GlennLawrence
View Profile
Veteran user
Randolph NJ
322 Posts

Profile of GlennLawrence
Wow that photo really takes me back! And I do remember Jim also. At the Cleveland St location they had a sort of magic club, very informal, that I joined and I remember one year (1985) a few of us went to the Daytona Beach magic conference. My one and only magic convention I've been to and I recall it being a good time!