The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Smooth as silk :: Name of roll-up tube prop (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Magic Mark
View Profile
Inner circle
After this post I will have
1545 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
See video below (which should start at the correct spot). Do you know the name of the roll-up tube prop he uses in his act. It retains its rolled shape nicely so it must be made from some form of mylar? Is this prop still available?

It seems like it should be mentioned in Rice's Encyclopedia of Silk Magic but I can't find it. ???

https://youtu.be/0Nulp0wM8mw?t=70

Thanks!

Mark
Doing tricks can be easy, being an entertainer is much harder.
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
I used to have 999 posts, now I have
1625 Posts

Profile of JNeal
I too forget the name , but it became popular in the 800's when it was sold by Magic Hands in Germany.
It predates that time though, I can recall that it was used as a way to exchanges a bunch of silks in the original version of Pavel's Quad Silks circa 1970 . I think it is also in Pavel's book called Novel Magic... maybe 1969.

The idea came out after the third of Rices' threee volumes of the Silk Encyclopedia was published... It might be in The Mark Trimble volume #4

I'll PM you with some more details...
visit me @ JNealShow.com
Dan Ford
View Profile
Special user
Illinois
761 Posts

Profile of Dan Ford
Massal Tube is the name.
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3883 Posts

Profile of Julie
Not to derail the train of thought too much...Our Tenyo Tricksters might remember a vintage rolled-up craft paper tube (with a different "gimmick") that would re-roll upon itself.

I recall these retailed for something like $1-$1.50 each when first released. It's almost unbelievable what units in good condition in the box etc. have sold for since...

Julie
Magic Mark
View Profile
Inner circle
1545 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
Jonathan, Dan & Julie, thank you for taking the time to offer help! Dan nailed it, it's called a Massal Tube. I found a standard size one at Laflin Magic for $25. They also have a jumbo one for around $50. Here's the link to the standard size one:

https://laflinmagicstore.com/products/ve......archment

I ordered one. I have a plan to modify the gimmick to allow it to be a blow-through tube. Not sure if it will work out, but I'lll give it a try.

Thanks again!

Mark
Magic Mark
View Profile
Inner circle
1545 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
BTW, I also found one named a Fantasy Silk Tube at SEO. Also just $25 (for tube only). But I noticed the corners of the material have a tendency to curl on the SEO one. The ends of the Laflin one appear to be reinforced to prevent curling at the corners. Here's the SEO one:

https://www.seomagic-usa.com/product_inf......_id/2384

Mark
padre rich
View Profile
Special user
636 Posts

Profile of padre rich
You can see another example of its use by going to youtube. put in: Brick Tilley The Aquarium to view an updated version of this excellent utility prop...
God's grace rocks! It makes a good cups and balls routine look pretty boring in comparison.