The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Where to buy cheap dental dam? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Elmsley4
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of Elmsley4
I just bought "The Art of Card Splitting", and it's GREAT! Now I need to find where to buy dental dam! I went to a Home Depot and asked where it was, and they didn't know. I'm so glad no one knew what it was over there! WHERE can I buy this stuff for my gaffs???

-Joel
Jordan Piper
View Profile
Veteran user
British Columbia, Canada
309 Posts

Profile of Jordan Piper
Try asking your dentist. He may just give them to you, sell them, or point you in the direction to buy them.
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2955 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
I actually got them at my local magic shop. They use them to make an acrobatic gimmick that they sell, and for this coin penatration that they do. Your best bet would be the dentist but if you want to contact the magic shop I go to go to http://www.pjstrickshop.com
broothal
View Profile
Elite user
Europe
448 Posts

Profile of broothal
I got an entire roll (100 m) of dental dam for free from my dentist. That was 10 years ago and I still have 90 m left.
Magictrickster
View Profile
Regular user
UK
114 Posts

Profile of Magictrickster
There's also a pretty good coin penetration (of which I'm sure many of you are aware)which can be done using dental dam.

It was included as an effect in a Harry Potter Magic set, on sale in the UK (and probably other places) recently. They included two sheets of 'rubber' which would probably last no time at all in the hands of the youngsters at whom the kit was targeted.

Cheers,

Brian.
Brian
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Quote:
On 2004-06-20 03:52, broothal wrote:
I got an entire roll (100 m) of dental dam for free from my dentist. That was 10 years ago and I still have 90 m left.

Broothal,

I'm curious whether or not the dental dam you have is still usable or has deteriorated past the point of usability? I had some dental dam and it deteriorated in just two years and I had to throw the whole bunch out.

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
broothal
View Profile
Elite user
Europe
448 Posts

Profile of broothal
Dental dam must be stored in a cool place - I've kept mine in the fridge, and it's still as elastic as when I got it.
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2955 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
Quote:
On 2004-06-20 15:25, broothal wrote:
Dental dam must be stored in a cool place - I've kept mine in the fridge, and it's still as elastic as when I got it.

I did not know that, thanks! I'm going to go put mine some place cold.
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Broothal,

Thanks for the info; I was not aware of that fact. BTW, how long have you had this current "batch" of dental dam that has lasted so long?

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
Richard Lucas
View Profile
Special user
TX fornow- MemberMagicCastle'65-'88
737 Posts

Profile of Richard Lucas
Quote:
On 2004-06-19 18:59, Elmsley4 wrote:
I just bought "The Art of Card Splitting", and it's GREAT! Now I need to find where to buy dental dam! I went to a Home Depot and asked where it was, and they didn't know. I'm so glad no one knew what it was over there! WHERE can I buy this stuff for my gaffs???

-Joel

I have an ample supply of gray and white $1.50 per 4" X 4" square. If you'd like some PM me.
"The only difference between a Card Cheat and a Magician is that the Magician shows off.".......... Jay Ose 1965

Dicklucas
BWind
View Profile
Loyal user
Honolulu, Hawaii
262 Posts

Profile of BWind
Folks,
If you are using the dental dam as a "hinge" for card gimmicks, I suggest you try latex gloves, they are very thin and the rubber cementing does not seem to bother them; I have some gaffs I made more than 20 years ago that still perform with a "snap"; The only issue is that you'll need to trim the gloves to the proper size;
BWind
LBP MAGIC
View Profile
Veteran user
374 Posts

Profile of LBP MAGIC
Broothal
Good idea on the fridge, but ten years in a fridge. That has got to be some kind of record. Have you called Guniess? (I don't know how to spell that)I don't even think I have ever had a fridge that has lasted ten years.
Impressive brothal that's all I can say.
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
I was lucky in that a co-worker's husband sells dental supplies and got me a box of 100 of the gray ones, best for the coin through penetration. Cost about nine bucks and I store it in the back of the refrigerator along with my animal twisting balloons.
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"
broothal
View Profile
Elite user
Europe
448 Posts

Profile of broothal
LBP: Actually, it survived two fridges and is now resting safe in the third Smile
LBP MAGIC
View Profile
Veteran user
374 Posts

Profile of LBP MAGIC
See I knew that it could not have been in just one fridge. Now the thing that impresses me is the fact that you have switched fridges three times and you still have the stuff.

I can't even fit butter in my fridge and you guys have water dams and balloons.
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
That's because being magicians we can't actually afford food.
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"
broothal
View Profile
Elite user
Europe
448 Posts

Profile of broothal
10 years ago I was single. Single guys don't use a fridge for anything but dental dam and beers. Food comes from pizza boxes. Now it's all different. The fridge is full of food and my dental dam has been relocated to a shelf in the fridge door on my wife's order. Smile
limkris
View Profile
Regular user
Belgium
166 Posts

Profile of limkris
One can also use the surgical latex gloves for the coin penetration. Prepare the coin in the usual manner. Inflate the glove carefully and tie a knot. Borrow a coin from the spec and pretend to put it on the inflated glove. Do the penetration and give the glove plus inside coin as a souvenir.
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Now that's one of the best presentations for this trick I've seen in ages! Thanks!
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Magic Roman
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Profile of Magic Roman
This is some good advice Folks. Can any of you please advise on what thickness of Dental Dam is best used with card gimmicks? Any “true workers” have advice on repeated use of gimmicks you’ve made with regards to the longevity of the gimmick? I have a certain gimmick I’ve been buying over and over again, and it keeps wearing out. I’ve decided to start making it on my own, so if anyone can give me some tips it is much appreciated.
Roman