The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Puzzle me this... :: Hotel guest puzzle (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
NeilS
View Profile
Inner circle
3256 Posts

Profile of NeilS
A little while ago I read about a puzzle involving guests arriving at a hotel. Although there were, I believe, 10 guests and only 9 free rooms (or something like that) each guest ended up with the room. The puzzle could be demonstrated with the guests represented as coins.

I probably haven't got the details exactly right but if someone could point me in the direction of this puzzle, I'd be grateful.

Thanks

Neil
leonard
View Profile
Regular user
North Carolina
148 Posts

Profile of leonard
From
http://brainden.com/forum/topic/19-hotel/

13 people came into a hotel with 12 rooms and each guest wanted his own room. The bellboy solved this problem.

He asked the thirteenth guest to wait a little with the first guest in room number 1. So in the first room there were two people. The bellboy took the third guest to room number 2, the fourth to number 3, ..., and the twelfth guest to room number 11. Then he returned to room number 1 and took the thirteenth guest to room number 12, still vacant.

How can everybody have his own room?

I hope this helps,
leonard
KungFuMagic
View Profile
Regular user
167 Posts

Profile of KungFuMagic
Well, almost everybody had a room. LOL
Nick Sasso
part-time Samurai conjurer
NeilS
View Profile
Inner circle
3256 Posts

Profile of NeilS
Thanks Leonard, that's brilliant.

Neil
Animated Puppets
View Profile
Loyal user
Lost on a Green Screen
285 Posts

Profile of Animated Puppets
Along with the Jedi mind trick 12 coins and a shell would make it work.
I still recall the day I met Beaker from the Muppets. He said to me "Meep, meep, mee mee mee Meep!", and that has made all the difference.
NeilS
View Profile
Inner circle
3256 Posts

Profile of NeilS
I have presented the 'routine' as an impromptu interlude several times and it has really gone down well.

For a intriguing, fun piece I highly recommend.

Neil
Christo
View Profile
Loyal user
Cyprus
231 Posts

Profile of Christo
There's also a similar routine in Robert Neale's 'Life Death and Other card Tricks'. This will give you physical props which make it 'impossible' for the layman . Published in 2000 and difficult to find but worth the ride.

C Smile
"Humpty was pushed!!"
NeilS
View Profile
Inner circle
3256 Posts

Profile of NeilS
Thanks Christo, I will see if I can track this down. As I mentioned before, it is such a delightful and intriguing puzzle and something different from the norm.
Frank Yuen
View Profile
Elite user
460 Posts

Profile of Frank Yuen
Another version is "The Case of the Missing Hat" from Paul Curry's Magician's Magic also reprinted in Worlds Beyond.
docguitarman
View Profile
Special user
Thousand Oaks, California
890 Posts

Profile of docguitarman
Quote:
On Mar 12, 2022, Frank Yuen wrote:
Another version is "The Case of the Missing Hat" from Paul Curry's Magician's Magic also reprinted in Worlds Beyond.

Being a DIY magician, I made a set of the cards after reading it in World's Beyond. I like the effect quite a bit.
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3630 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
Quote:
On Sep 10, 2021, Christo wrote:
There's also a similar routine in Robert Neale's 'Life Death and Other card Tricks'. This will give you physical props which make it 'impossible' for the layman . Published in 2000 and difficult to find but worth the ride.

C Smile

I have this book but can not seem to find this effect in it?
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2501 Posts

Profile of ddyment
Quote:
On Jun 10, 2022, rowdymagi5 wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 10, 2021, Christo wrote:

C Smile

I have this book but can not seem to find this effect in it?

It's actually in Neale's Tricks of the Imagination, page 137.
The Deceptionary :: Elegant, Literate, Contemporary Mentalism ... and More :: (order "Calculated Thoughts" from Vanishing Inc.)
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3630 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
Thanks Doug! that's it! I appreciate the reference!