The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The Society of American Magicians! :: SAM Magazine (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
TeddyBoy
View Profile
Special user
New York, NY
595 Posts

Profile of TeddyBoy
Can anyone tell me, objectively, if SAM Magazine actually discusses the "doing" of magic, or only the professional aspects of being a magician. I am not a performer but would like something interesting to read. I came across a book by Ian Kendall, which was a collection of incredibly instructive articles originally published in SAM Magazine. Of course, this level of instruction cannot often be expected. But given my paucity of free time I would like to know if your magazine is suited for me.

I appreciate your attention.
So many sleights...so little time.
"Slow...deliberate...natural." Bill Tarr

Cheers,
Teddy
kamlet
View Profile
New user
Chicago, IL
56 Posts

Profile of kamlet
The SAM Magazine M-U-M has all kinds of articles from interviews, history, book/trick reviews, and of course assembly reports as well as some "how-to" articles

You can get a sample at

https://www.magicsam.com/page/MUMSampler

If you're looking for a magazine devoted to teaching tricks, this isn't really it...
TeddyBoy
View Profile
Special user
New York, NY
595 Posts

Profile of TeddyBoy
Thanks very much. I assume you find it interesting enough to hold your interest.
So many sleights...so little time.
"Slow...deliberate...natural." Bill Tarr

Cheers,
Teddy
Tim Snyder
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago, IL
112 Posts

Profile of Tim Snyder
I get MUM and Genii magazine. I find Genii to be the more interesting to read. I think both would meet the criteria that you are asking about, but I would recommend Genii.
Nelsoni
View Profile
New user
U.S.A.
11 Posts

Profile of Nelsoni
TeddyBoy, the S.A.M. monthly magazine M-U-M does indeed discuss the "doing" of magic, among other things. Along with many other types of articles and regular features, how to do a number of tricks is explained in each issue. But it is much more than that. You only receive M-U-M by being a member of the organization, and that opens opportunities for you to attend meetings of S.A.M. local clubs, called "assemblies", near you, as well as to attend the annual conventions. Genii, for example, is a fine and venerable publication, but it does not come with the ties to a nation-wide (actually, world-wide) organization of magicians like belonging to the S.A.M. does.
Ravenspur
View Profile
Regular user
Granby, MA
167 Posts

Profile of Ravenspur
I receive M-U-M as a member of the Society of American Magicians (5 years now). If you join, you also get access to all the back issues of M-U-M and thus a lot of tricks there. I've been doing a lot of magic history research and it's been invaluable. You also get access to video lectures and workshops and the Virtual Assembly. And as an S.A.M. member, you support the advancement of magic and can become part of local assembly meetings. Full Disclosure: In the next few months, I have an article that will be published in M-U-M. If you want to be part of the magic community, S.A.M. is a great way to go.

I also subscribe to Genii, which has more tricks. I'm into self-working card stuff these days, so I eagerly await John Bannon's column. A Genii subscription also has access to all the back issues, which opens your world to a number of tricks.