The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Street Magic :: Jim Stott's Ultimate Street Magic Kit (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I acknowledge that I am woefully under educated as to magicians in this day and age.

For all I know, Jim Stott may be one of the most incredible "Street Magicians" there is.

But I'm looking on eBay, and I find his "Ultimate Street Magic Kit" and I have to scratch my head.

"250 Tricks." OK, I'm going to assume there's maybe 25 tricks in the box and a book for the rest.

The box read "Magic Svengalli Deck, Top Secret Vanishing Kit, Ultimate Levitation System, Magic Pen Penetration, Wizard Stripper Deck, Coin Through Glass, Three Shell Game, Penetrating Rubber Bands, Three Card Monte."

A couple of those don't really seem to fit "Street Magic," maybe RESTAURANT Magic, but not Street. I see someone on the Street watching your Svengalli routine and going; "Oh yeah, TV Magic Cards. I had a deck when I was a kid." (I could be wrong. There could certainly be people who KILL with the Svengalli Deck, but they're already USING it, they wouldn't be buying a "magic kit.") A couple of them look like they'd be killers on the street if you could perform them right, and at least TWO of them could possibly get you arrested!

Am I wrong?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Jim-Stotts-Ulti......SlNgCJIx
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Gerry The Great
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of Gerry The Great
The term Street Magic on this kit was used because street magic is hot with children right now and back when this kit was first designed. Some of the tricks are great for busking, (maybe?) but really it’s about selling magic
Kits way more than having the best street magic tricks, ha!
will lane
View Profile
Veteran user
Will likes to post so he has made
339 Posts

Profile of will lane
Yep, I have never heard of Jim Stott. It may sound mean, but if I was a kid/teenager I wouldn't be trusting an old guy to be teaching me street magic; I'd want to see David Blaine or Criss Angel on the box. Or at least someone who looks like a typical "street magician".

The text on the box shows it was made by Trickmaster, and sure enough if you go to their website you can find an identical kit- sans Jim's name and face. https://www.trickmastermagic.com/product......gic-kit/

That said, for second hand prices it's not a bad buy. Brand new it's anywhere between 30-40 dollars, which is way too much. Google lists the price of the kits for $16.50 but I imagine that's a bulk dealer price, if it's accurate at all.

And with all THAT said, it seems like it has a decent array of props. You can tell it's focused for teenage/young adult magician because it doesn't come with the typical toy tricks like cups and balls or ball and vase. You get a TT, some sort of IT, 3CM, 3SG, what I assume is a shell or flipper, stripper deck, etc...

What is the likely, 99% sure scenario, is Jim bought a bunch of these kits in bulk, printed some stickers, slapped them on the box, and sells them at his gigs and shows for double/triple markup. Very common, especially with children's/teenager entertainers. Nothing wrong with it.
Amazing Magic Co
View Profile
Inner circle
1715 Posts

Profile of Amazing Magic Co
This is the "Ultimate Street Magic Kit!" How could you possibly want something more or better? Are you implying some possible exaggeration in this promotion? I just couldn't ever imagine such a thing.

Dan.
Koolmagic114
View Profile
Veteran user
314 Posts

Profile of Koolmagic114
Hey Guys,

I know Jim Stott. he is a great guy. While I Have never met him as he lives quite far from me. I have had quite a few conversations with him as he is on my Facebook page. As well he runs a GREAT magic forum.. kind of like the magic Café here.. It is called The Magic Classroom You can find it here:

http://magicclassroom.ning.com/?xg_source=msg_mes_network

Do check it out..
Eddy
Eddy

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Co-Creator of "TAGZ" / "Iced Over" / " TelePad" / "Penigma"
www.magicianslair.com