The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Food for thought :: Presence. Being there. (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
ChrisPayne
View Profile
Loyal user
UK
241 Posts

Profile of ChrisPayne
Riveting clips, thanks for posting. A charismatic master of total command. Any generalisable or learning points? (apart from how important other Arts and stage training are)
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9997 Posts

Profile of funsway
How about where he says copying is not learning.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16551 Posts

Profile of tommy
Been there.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
ChrisPayne
View Profile
Loyal user
UK
241 Posts

Profile of ChrisPayne
Well I live there +/- 15 miles (Bath UK) - unrelated observation, this is also the site of the long running "Bizarre Bath Walk" run by Noel Britton, President of the Magic Circle. Dunno why I felt compelled to say that... .
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3695 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Laurie, it would be helpful if you would talk about these clips, and what they mean for you, and what your important takeaways are.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16551 Posts

Profile of tommy
We were often off to the Bath races in the rough old days; we have not been there since they built the new stands but it looks great now. A lot of the old racecourses are branching out and offering other forms of entertainment, where a magician might find some gigs. In the old days, we would lunch in town before going to the track.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2b0toYwYsGo
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
"Focus... Neutral... Technique... Sculpt space...Make the invisible visible (and the visible invisible)... Five Senses...Breathing...Learn...Understand...Contemplate...Feel"

One of the first magic texts I found that I felt really dealt directly with what a magician does, was Dariel Fitzkee's Magic by Misdirection- especially, his discussion of simulation and dissimulation.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16551 Posts

Profile of tommy
I am thinking the amazing illusionist, ventriloquist, mime Jerome Murat - Living Statue, springs to mind.

Tommy
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Thanks for posting, tommy.
There are a few things about this that I like and a few things I don't like. Smile I think the beginning is strong.

Of course, our knowledge of puppets and how they operate is problematic, so I think there may be an initial obstacle with the introduction of the second head, but I also see a recovery, and the transition at 4:03- incorporating the previously still arm and hand is very effective.

I think, though, it loses unity, focus and clarity at the 5:30 mark, and so the ending is somewhat confusing, at least for me, and credibility is lost at the headless moment for me, but the audience seems happy with the replacement. Smile Which got me thinking about that Dr. who wants to try "head transplant"s. Smile Smile

I feel the last two minutes are weak and perhaps wanting to add "effects" has happened quickly at the expense of the strong build in the first 5 minutes.

Whether this scene is part of a larger story arc in the show, I don't know. I haven't been able to find any more of this performer's work, either, but this was an interesting view, and I appreciate you putting it up here, tommy. I think we've seen a similar routine before with Tina Lenert, with an ending that I felt- as someone who has mopped a dirty floor or two- was entirely implausible. So the ending's still up for grabs on this routine, maybe. Smile I'd like to read thoughts, in text form Smile , from any who'd like to share here. Smile
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie

with "pre-show":

tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16551 Posts

Profile of tommy
“The Statue With Two Heads tells the story set in the Garden of Eden, where a mysterious wind breathes life into a two-headed stone statue. A mesmerising enactment follows as the two heads awaken and struggle to take possession of the body.“

https://www.applesandpearsentertainment.......e-murat/

No conflict no drama as they say.

Tommy
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3695 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16551 Posts

Profile of tommy
Everybody can have an imaginary friend but not every imaginary friend can have a body it seems to me; the magician must not only spark the imagination but also conjure it up.

The magic of imaginary friends

https://abracademy.com/imaginary-friends/

Tommy
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16551 Posts

Profile of tommy
He is good but I am not a fan of art imitating art.

Tommy
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
I'm not usually keen on "impersonators". These two, however, are tribute artists and I feel they pay very powerful tribute, indeed. The topic of this thread is "Presence. Being there." They have fantastic presence. Note that Elvis Presley and Roy Orbison did not sing this song together publicly, if at all. There is much more than imitation at work here. They work with each other, together, listening, with beautiful give, take, and harmony, in tribute to Roy and Elvis. They obviously love music and committing fully vocally. They bring joy. I think many others have also been moved by their presence.