The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The Gambling Spot :: Annals of Gaming (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
TH10111
View Profile
Regular user
156 Posts

Profile of TH10111
There are only a few key reference texts on early card cheating, and I believe Annals of Gaming should be added to this list.
It was originally published as a series of articles between 1772 and 1775.
The articles cover 27 different card games, with the intention of exposing the methods of cheating for each (note: this work does not teach any of the techniques).
The book offered here, compiles the full set of articles; all of which have been retyped to make them easier to read.
I believe these articles to have been a significant contribution to the English literature on card cheating of the time and therefore worthy of republication.
The book is available now from lybrary.com.

The product descriptions reads as follows:
Quote:
The intentionally unassuming grey cover, designed to match the dull sounding title, suggests a dry emotionless record of events is likely held within. However, this humble exterior belies the valuable secrets hidden within its pages. Annals of Gaming was an article series published over four years, between 1772 and 1775; its sole intention was to expose the sharpers, hustlers, and cheats, by detailing their methods of defrauding the unwary. Now, for the first time, every article in the original series has been retyped in full and published in a single volume of over 200 pages. This work covers over 30 different games, the majority being played with cards, and for each one the techniques used by the hustlers of the day are described. These previously overlooked articles have clear importance in the cheating literature; not only due to the breadth of material covered, but there are also a number of techniques that are likely published for the first time in English, including the second deal, the centre deal, the deck switch, and more.
iamslow
View Profile
Inner circle
Proffessional Slacker
2001 Posts

Profile of iamslow
Thanks for sharing

Smile
"Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the face" Mike Tyson
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle