The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: We double dare you! :: Seeking feedback on card routine concept (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
KungFuMagic
View Profile
Regular user
167 Posts

Profile of KungFuMagic
I am looking for some outside feedback on a concept I have for a three-trick routine I am scripting/blocking/brainstorming ... I am calling it "Card-tuition" for now.

The theme is building the routing from small to large, in terms of cards being used .... 8-card Brainwave (Nick Trost) then 20-card OOTW (Jon Anderson) then Chicago Opener (of course, Leech & Everhardt). The thread is scripting these as experiments in intuition .... that "magic occurs in that wonderous realm where the conscious/active/aware mind meets the unconscious/intuitive mind."

** 8BW is the opener to introduce the idea ... the experiment that people aren't convinced whether it is an extra-sensory experiment, or a magic experiment, or something else entirely. A prediction of sorts.

** 20-card OOTW expands the challenge to 20 cards, and stretches out that intuition.

** Chicago Opener ... with such success at the 1st two, I wonder what amazing things we can do with an entire deck of cards.

I am thinking if I frame it well, I can avoid the potential feel of repetition. There are different effects going on, prediction, mentalism, transformation/translocation ... but the whole colors focus is a concern of mine. I know I need to determine the change-out of the packets and deck. I could just pull them our as needed, or I could develop some sly changeouts to bridge them. Gotta decide which way works better for the effects desired.

Does this routine look like it could work as I've described it? It builds in scope, has different actual effects, and moves from a single volunteer doing "the deed" to a magician/volunteer cooperative effort with the full deck. Feedback??
Nick Sasso
part-time Samurai conjurer
gregg webb
View Profile
Inner circle
1564 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
Sounds sound. The one thing I was always told is that predictions are the weakest kind of thing. Probably because they suspect a force or some prearrangement or stooge or something...they don't believe it. You can rescript that part to seem to be about some other power at work, I guess. You have enough to try it out and see if you can pick up any audience reactions. Or, instead of trying to hide the switches, turn a minus into a plus by putting a bright ribbon around each packet, and one around the whole deck for Chicago. I think it is a non-issue. You then seem to have the cards already separated out to save time.
gregg webb
View Profile
Inner circle
1564 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
I just realized this was from last year or so. sorry so late.