The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Ring and rope routine (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
pooofjolly
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of pooofjolly
A friend and I were discussing a ring and rope trick tonight. It was a favorite of a now deceased friend who would sit at a table, stand a hardback book up with pages pointing at him,lay both ends of a rope over each book cover (ends are visible to the audience). Then he took a borrowed finger ring behind the book and made to join the ring and rope (with hammer, torch, grinder, etc). The finale is the rope ends are cleanly lifted and the undamaged ring is now on the rope.
Is anyone familiar with this plot or know the name of this trick? It might have used a string, but we think a rope.
Anybody?

In some investigating last night I see Fred Kaps has something similar in "Its so simple" called ring off string. I don't have it but if YOU do can you give me an idea if the above plot is similae?
John
gregg webb
View Profile
Inner circle
1564 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
I seem to remember Slydini having something like this. There was the 2 book set, The Best of Slydini and the second book, which Geof Latta called The Rest of Slydini, (probably The Magical World of Slydini) is probably the one that has this if I'm right at all.
NicholasD25
View Profile
Veteran user
392 Posts

Profile of NicholasD25
Sefalaljia, from the late 30's or early 40's using only a ring and string, appeared in The Jinx. Many methods since then, ranging from just an ungimmicked ring and string to duplicate rings, gimmicked rings and stooges.
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
2150 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
Michael Close’s Workers has a good routine worked out with a variant of the Sefalaljia move done under a handkerchief. There are actually 3 essential bits in the Stewart James original. A cord, a ring, and a safety pin. The safety pin also appears in Close’s very fine version.

Patrick
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3635 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
The one that the OP is referring to is an effect done by Dean Dill. Nobody seems to know how it was done. Speculation is that a stooge handed him a himber ring (a high end Joe Porper himber ring). I watched him do it and was totally fried. There is a video somewhere (YouTube), I just can't seem to locate it now
NicholasD25
View Profile
Veteran user
392 Posts

Profile of NicholasD25
Sefalaljia III in My Best ( 1945 )uses only a string and ring, no handkerchief or safety pin. Can't seem to locate it, but I believe that there's a write up using only ring and string behind a book as in the OP. Still looking.
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3635 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
Quote:
On Mar 10, 2021, NicholasD25 wrote:
Sefalaljia III in My Best ( 1945 )uses only a string and ring, no handkerchief or safety pin. Can't seem to locate it, but I believe that there's a write up using only ring and string behind a book as in the OP. Still looking.

It will be different than the one the OP is referring too. In the Dean Dill version, you can remove the book and the ring is on the rope. On the routine you are referring too, you have to hold one end of the rope and pull the rope from behind the book. And there is no knot on the rope in Deans version.
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
Quote:
On Mar 10, 2021, rowdymagi5 wrote:
The one that the OP is referring to is an effect done by Dean Dill. Nobody seems to know how it was done. Speculation is that a stooge handed him a himber ring (a high end Joe Porper himber ring). I watched him do it and was totally fried. There is a video somewhere (YouTube), I just can't seem to locate it now

Yes, this is what it sounds like to me too.

It was maybe 2 years ago that this was discussed and a reference was given in the post (the actual book that it is in. I don't have time to find it tonight, but if you were in a hurry do a search that includes Pete Biro, myself, and possibly Vinny, in the time frame that I mentioned. but that's just if you are in a hurry.

enjoy
John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
Dill's routine is called Amazering

The effect is very similar to a Sefalaljia (which can be found in many sources, including Wilson's Complete Course in Magic
but Dill's *effect*, as best I could "reingineered" it, does not use the Sefalaljia *method* (so it will fool people that are familiar with Sefalaljia (as it did me when I first saw it).

I believe that the basic method of Amazering is in the Magical world of Slydini p76

You can see a brief description at
https://www.conjuringarchive.com/list/book/787

and, I think this book is available at Lybrary.com

So, as they say at carnivals.. 'you can pay your money, and takes your choice' Smile

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
Corrections and Update:

From reading the thread that I alluded to above (and give below), Amazering may not be the name of the trick, but the name of a gimmicked ring.
(but, although this effect could be done with a gimmicked ring, it doesn't need one)

But read the thread below, there are comments from people that are more knowledgeable than myself.

https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view......&start=0

(Also, my guess of the age of the thread as 2 years was surprisingly close, if using the date of my contributions to it Smile )
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking