The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Gypsy Thread (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
David asecas
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of David asecas
Also if you want to do it with a thicker thread, I use baby wool, I go to a haberdashery and first I try that it can be easily torn by hand.
upnxrawk
View Profile
New user
100 Posts

Profile of upnxrawk
Javi Benitez has a wonderful gypsy thread routine called El Hilo
Billy
Christian Wilde
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of Christian Wilde
If you want to do the gypsy thread for a larger audience I can recommend getting Jeff Hobsons take on the trick. You can get it from his magic product site http://www.hobsonschoicemagic.com/
I can also recommend Nick Lewins Gypsy Yarn for stage performances. My own take on the trick is a blend of the two. I have designed my own thread spool gimmick with inspiration from both and use the trick as an encore after my shows big finale. It plays big and fits in a pocket. Totally awesome Smile
magic.99
View Profile
Regular user
181 Posts

Profile of magic.99
My favourite gypsy thread routine that I have seen, was performed by Alain Choquette, a French magician from Montreal.
mtstic44
View Profile
Loyal user
280 Posts

Profile of mtstic44
Axel Hecklau sells 2 wooden spools of thick thread that's easy to break.
A Show By Joe
View Profile
Elite user
Long Island
409 Posts

Profile of A Show By Joe
I believe Tony Clark has a DVD named Gypsy Balloon. I love ending a show recapping with the audience and then handing the balloon over to a kid
marco1
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of marco1
Well after 12 years of searching for the original thread that Tannens sold... I finally found it!!!! A place called Magic Methods bought out what was Tony Spina's Tannen's stock. I believe there are 5 spools left.
Carlosfa
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of Carlosfa
There is a version into Kaplan's book. It is an effect I love too if you create a cool story can engage your audience
ekins
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon
514 Posts

Profile of ekins
I second the recommendation of Axel Hecklau's teaching for this effect. He details his setup and routine and what thread he uses for close-up. He then discusses threads for the stage and how to dye your own. Finally, he goes over his ideas using a balloon. I'm a very satisfied customer.

https://www.axelhecklau-shop.com/lng/en/......cobufrq2
gregg webb
View Profile
Inner circle
1564 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
For the presentation, Abigail McBride has the best one in my estimation.
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3556 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
The first time I seen the Gypsy Thread performed was at an Abbott's Get Together evening show. I think it was Terry Seabrook.

For close up versions, I believe I like Eugen Burgers presentation of it. I would be interested in seeing Abigail's presentation.
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1916 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
I have not seen Abigail's version, however, I would be VERY surprised if her setup, staging, and performance wasn't substantially influenced by Eugene Burger's Workmanlike handling of this classic.

IMHO, Eugene did the BEST version of Gypsy Thread that I ever witnessed. And I have seen A LOT of magicians performing Gypsy Thread.
gregg webb
View Profile
Inner circle
1564 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
Yes, her version was probably very influenced by Eugene. I've seen both their versions and I liked hers somewhat better but I may be biased. But remember she just won a music award for best pagan music album, which are more like chants or prayers to primitive music. She knows from performing. Funny, I've only seen 3. The 3rd is Peter Samelson whose is very good too, I thought, but I'm prejudiced and admit it.
cuchullain
View Profile
New user
Oklahoma City
94 Posts

Profile of cuchullain
Lonnie Chevrie has a great one with dental floss - taught well on his penguin lecture
Tukaram
View Profile
Loyal user
Iloilo, Philippines
227 Posts

Profile of Tukaram
The clearest explanation I have seen for the setup was by Daryl, on Fooler Doolers Vol 2. He calls it the Hindu Thread.
Bruce T
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of Bruce T
My favourite effect - ever!

Extremely fortunate to have learned Eugene's handling directly from him

Had a session with Axel at FISM last summer which was outstanding.

Perfect as a closer in so many settings with infinite possibilities for stories - corporate and/or private
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1916 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
Bruce T (and everybody else, too)

As I mentioned in my post above, I believe that Eugene Burger's version was the best that I have ever seen (the DRAMA in Eugene's presentation makes it SOOOOO mysterious).

But then, as much as I love Eugene's presentations of just about everything, including and especially his version of the Gypsy Thread Trick, I am not Eugene and have my own unique (hopefully) presentation style.

Knowing this, I always keep an open mind when it comes to seeing and absorbing new presentation tips on old magic classics, and I must say, THIS REALLY CAUGHT MY EYE!.......Perhaps you might want to check it out:

https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S34409

Axel Hecklau does the video explanation and although his preparation method and presentation is different than what I have seen in the past....he makes a couple of great points that got me to thinking about doing it HIS way and seeing how well it plays.

For those of us who think it's too much money to pay $65 for a version of the Gypsy Thread trick, I think that you might want to re-think that when you see everything that comes with this trick when you buy it....including a virtual lifetime supply (SERIOUSLY) of Gypsy Thread on 3 (count 'em) wooden spools AND 4 LARGE ( and I mean REALLY BIG) rolls of extra thread and a nicely done antique book-ish like storage box plus the full performance rights for Wayne Dobson's routine!

AND.....there is even this LITE version for $25 which I also own and in my opinion, it's a BARGAIN and the included wooden Egyptian-Themed box is beautiful and a great little interest-getter for a performer:

https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S35195
Axel Hecklau
View Profile
Regular user
Berlin / Germany
118 Posts

Profile of Axel Hecklau
Thanks a lot Rainboguy
Just want to let you know - I discovered a thick thread, much better to see and developed an adjusted handling for it.
I produced an explanation video for the thread in 3 versions
Normal thread (its the content I gave to Alan Wong to include it I to the package you mentioned above) - the stage thread version and the version at a balloon ( to make it more comfortabe and save to perform.
I sell this video download exclusive on my website
https://www.axelhecklau-shop.com/lng/en/......lau.html

There you can find my stage thread as well.