The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: We double dare you! :: Watch routine presentation ideas (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
kleqy
View Profile
Regular user
105 Posts

Profile of kleqy
Hey guys,I have recently fallen in love with the Osterlind watch routine,but I can't seem to find a great presentation for it.

I know I should find one by myself,but few hints and ideas are appreciated.I am not looking for something like:"Time is important right?Now give me your watch please."No.If you are not feeling like throwing ideas here,please PM me.

Kleqy
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5935 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
There are obvious ways in which time brings us together. We agree to meet at a specific time and place. But there are far less obvious ways in which time can connect us. Let’s try something...
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6732 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Agree with all Tom has said. Try to find stories that have to do with time. For instance, there's always those tales of someone having a car accident at 2:13 in the morning and the person's mom waking up in bed exactly at that time with a nervous feeling. Do a google search for stories or morals or poems or tales related to time and see if any one of those strikes a nerve. Think of a personal event that had you wondering about time or being nervous about a certain thing happening at a certain time.

There's no one answer. Find what you can relate to or feels like a cool story you'd want to tell.

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
gregg webb
View Profile
Inner circle
1564 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
There is a whole section at the end, Double Dare You, all about presentation ideas but no methods. I've been toying with Time Travel ideas. Steven Hawking came up with that if you climb a mountain, a clock goes slower because of less gravity or something like that.
Fedora
View Profile
Special user
Arizona, usa
760 Posts

Profile of Fedora
A clock would actually run faster at high altitude.

The higher up you go the weaker the gravity, the stronger the gravity
the slower time moves.
gregg webb
View Profile
Inner circle
1564 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
Thank you. I had it upside down. And the faster you travel, the slower time goes? Or do I have that upside down too? Still, name drop Steven Hawking is my advice. Or Einstein. Thanks Fedora.
Fedora
View Profile
Special user
Arizona, usa
760 Posts

Profile of Fedora
Yes, if you observed something travelling close to
the speed of light, the time of that object in relation
to you is slower.

this and the previous gravity example is called "time dilation",
a term that might be worth using in a routine.
gregg webb
View Profile
Inner circle
1564 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
That's great. I'm already putting that in my "sending a coin 5 seconds into the future" routine. See if you can think of more phrases from quantum mechanics or the search for dark matter and energy that we can use as patter in a magic trick. Go Fedora!
Fedora
View Profile
Special user
Arizona, usa
760 Posts

Profile of Fedora
The first thing that comes to mind is "quantum entanglement", where certain
particles behave in relation to each other, even when separated by great distance.

Could be used in a "sympathetic" routine such as sympathetic silks,
where an action in one place causes a reaction somewhere else.
gregg webb
View Profile
Inner circle
1564 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
Yes. That's a good one. Nice. Hey, listen to this coincidence...I was on a bus and the Higgs Boson had just been detected, and I was reading about it in the paper and the guy next to me, a stranger, said he had helped build the Large Hadron Collider! Small world!