The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: What happened, was this... :: First time I've done magic under oath... (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Joe M. Turner
View Profile
Loyal user
Atlanta, Georgia
248 Posts

Profile of Joe M. Turner
Today I testified as an expert witness in a hearing concerning the use of magic-related symbolism in the graphics of a coin-operated amusement game. This was the first time I've ever performed magic under oath. Magic is certainly an endless source of unique experiences!

Have you ever been sworn in prior to performing?
Regards,
Joe M. Turner
turnermagic.com
Michael L
View Profile
New user
45 Posts

Profile of Michael L
Now I'm curious what the case is about, is it something you can share?
Joe M. Turner
View Profile
Loyal user
Atlanta, Georgia
248 Posts

Profile of Joe M. Turner
The manufacturer of a nudge game called "Magic Tricks" used a variety of magic props, symbols, and imagery in the graphics of their game.

Statute prohibits use of card images to play or simulate poker, blackjack, keno, or any other card games. The issue was whether that icon meant that this game -- basically a video slot that you can adjust by one spot of your choice -- was transformed into an illegal card game by that icon. Defense argued, among other things, that the icon was representative of card tricks, and that the game was a game of matching graphic symbols, not a card game of any kind.

I testified that a graphic/icon specifically comprised of 4 aces, a wand, and the word "Magic" overlaid across all of it was, in my opinion and in that context, symbolic of card magic tricks (productions as well as longer routines) using four aces, of which there are thousands and of which many have a final display that looks like the icon in question. I performed Gary Ouellet's "3 Second Wonder" and the Christ Aces from Vernon Chronicles Volume 2. I had 7 additional routines ready to go.

After being sworn in, and during a brief chat with the judge, I did share the relevant Karl Germain (1878-1959) quote: "Conjuring is the only absolutely honest profession; the conjuror promises to deceive, and he does."
Regards,
Joe M. Turner
turnermagic.com
Michael L
View Profile
New user
45 Posts

Profile of Michael L
That's fascinating. Thanks for the extra info!
EndersGame
View Profile
Inner circle
Reviewer EndersGame
2201 Posts

Profile of EndersGame
Quote:
On Oct 10, 2020, Joe M. Turner wrote:
After being sworn in, and during a brief chat with the judge, I did share the relevant Karl Germain (1878-1959) quote:

"Conjuring is the only absolutely honest profession; the conjuror promises to deceive, and he does."

I love that quote, and this was the perfect setting to use it!
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Fascinating
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Russo
View Profile
Inner circle
So.California / Centl.Florida / retired Florida
1177 Posts

Profile of Russo
IS THERE a Forum where a story can be shared how a spouse was met, by entertaining with Magic, Puppets, and / or Ventriloquism - It could be very interesting