The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Nothing up my sleeve... :: Coin workers must haves (14 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
MarcelR
View Profile
Regular user
Cologne, Germany
143 Posts

Profile of MarcelR
Quote:
On May 9, 2024, RNK wrote:
Mastering the Gishman Pinch. Such a fantastic and useful sleight!

Totally agree. But desperately struggling with this sleight. In the meantime, I almost think my hands just aren't really up to it. I simply can't get my pinky “over” far enough. I almost always flash or lose the coin / can't get it back in my hand. On the other hand, I see people doing it with a dollar....

A lot of good advices here.

The "must have" is depending on what you already know, what you want to do and how (audience managment, misdirection, angles, confidence, table, sitting, standing, stage, street, camera).

Ian Kendall proves Funsway right. In Basic Coin Magic 2.0, he doesn't actually teach much more. The best start!
Of course, it goes on from there. There are usefull threads about sources and how to start.
At the other end of the scale is Danny Goldsmith's course. Where not only all the usual basics are shown, but also good advices about how to practise, angles, audience managment and presentation. A must have for beginners.

Another must have is Benjamin Earls "Deep Coin Work". His approach is unique and is definitely an enhancement for me.

The New York Coin Magic Seminar. It's hard to find this much magic for the money. Not a must have, but a nice one.

Last but not least a subscription to Rick Holcombes Channel is a must have.

Not "must", but I like these "hidden" gems:

MB's Quick pitch is a wonderfull tool. Actually it doesn't look that hard, but for me it's a nightmare to learn.
I pitch against the coin, drop it, don't have enough momentum, or too much. If it does kind of work, it just looks like crap. Maybe it doesn’t fit me...

For me "The Drop" by Jeremiah Zuo is a great versatile sleight. Just love it.

I'm working on the muscle pass and tried to find David Kong's "The complete muscle pass", but only pirates care about uploading this.
Found "The Dance" by Brian Platt is a pretty usefull and underated peace of magic. Happy to have it. (Goshman pinch is part of it)

At shells I took a look behind the basics and found “Covert Coins” by Charlie Justice was a great discovery that nobody talks about anymore. (It is hard to find, but it is out there and no, not from china sites).

Another point from funsway, that I also like is th Okito box. Great tool.
Joshua J
View Profile
Inner circle
1064 Posts

Profile of Joshua J
I've been practicing the Goshman pinch too. Found Eric Jones metal useful for learning it. I'm finding it alright with a 2p or 10p after a few days practise. Finding it harder not to flash and hold longer when the coins are thicker. Just need an actual routine to use it with.
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4685 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
The name Goshman pinch (used twice in this thread) is actually the Tenkai pinch. It was a misnomer that came about by a mistake of JB Bobo, who gave it that name despite knowing the work of Tenkai. Goshman was taught the move, and although he did it well, had nothing to do with it's development. That being said, it is a useful concealment.
Special sale! FREE magician T shirt (a $25 value, only L or XL - see link) while supplies last with each purchase of MIGRATE ($35 ppd USA) Magnetic Coins ($40 ppd USA) or Conviction Prediction ($45 ppd
https://youtube.com/shorts/GbIwPoZ8qy4?si=eqxR6X6XGynLf3ET
inquire for ordering information here or to rubinsteindvm@aol.com
Joshua J
View Profile
Inner circle
1064 Posts

Profile of Joshua J
Cheers for the info Michael. It gets referred to by both names on the Eric Jones, but nice to know the history of it in Bobo.

Watched this interview with Danny Goldsmith today. Found the advice on angles helpful. Seems like a useful video for beginners as it talks through a lot of basics in terms of creating routines, angles, not just creating a puzzle, etc. I do like Danny's enthusiasm for his craft.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEzTDg0lA2g
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8815 Posts

Profile of harris
My foundation in theater, mime/movement and audience management is as important
as all the palms and pinches mentioned in the great responses.

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u