The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Deckless! :: NFW or Stand Up Monte? (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
vincentmusician
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto
266 Posts

Profile of vincentmusician
I think Stand Up monte is good. However, it needs to be done at a fast pace. There is a also move that needs to be repeated many times, you know the move where there is a discrepancy and I have found that after a while people started to look underneath my hands because they suspected something. The move does fly by and most do not notice, but when you do the secret move over and over, people are not stupid. They start to look more closely and suspect that there is something fishy with the cards. Also, some people are starting to say, Let me see all those cards! It is also a bit hard to remember all the steps which need to be performed in the correct order. So I prefer NFW or Dr. Daleys, or Double Back. Hey. If SUM works for you, good luck. It is too finicky for me. Cheers!
martydoesmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1704 Posts

Profile of martydoesmagic
"NFW" and "Stand-Up Monte" are both fine tricks. The latter is more interactive, i.e. your participant is more involved in the magic. Depending on what you're trying to achieve, this could be a good or bad thing. There's also much more to remember with Garrett's routine. I prefer "3" by Steve Valentine, however, the gaffs are more difficult to obtain these days.

I'd also recommend "Plastic Surgery" by Doug Conn as a fun alternative. It has a similar monte sequence to "Stand-Up Monte" (devised by Martin Lewis) and a killer transformation kicker.

I have an alternative, gaff-free handling of both tricks for times when I don't have the special cards with me. Hell, I'll tip my presentational tweak for "NFW"! I present it as a game of imagination (think Max Maven performing "B'Wave"). Rather than using four Aces, I replace the AD with the 10D. I ask each person to imagine that their Joker has transformed into an Ace. When I get to the woman with the 10D, I ask her to visualise a red diamond in the centre of the card. When the card is turned face up, I say, "Wow, you have an overactive imagination! But you're right, one diamond is never enough!" Cue a panicked look from the boyfriend or husband! Smile

Have fun!

Marty

P.S. You can also frame Doc Daley's Last Trick as a gambling demo (hand mucking). I have a few handlings that take advantage of this idea.
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3531 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
I enjoy NFW but remembering the sequence of play for Stand Up Monte, for me is overwhelming. I find I enjoy doing Prohibition Monte over either of them.
RobertApodaca
View Profile
Regular user
Henderson, NV
151 Posts

Profile of RobertApodaca
I recently learned Stand Up Monte and I've been having a blast just fooling myself in the mirror. Definitely requires a bit of practice but sure does pack a lot magic.
bentpenny
View Profile
Loyal user
204 Posts

Profile of bentpenny
My vote has to go to NFW! It's my favorite trick. Easy to remember, easy to do.
Longstaff
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of Longstaff
Stand up Monte for me. It’s incredible