The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Table hoppers & party strollers :: Issues with Double Cross (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3531 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Quote:
On Aug 4, 2023, Kaliix wrote:
Yes, tell them to put there hands out, palm down. It should be slightly unclear, which is why you mime for the what they are supposed to do. As you do this, intentionally hold your hands out in the correct position but lower than where you want their hands to be. As they mime your position, just casually say bring your hands up a little and just briefly touch and raise their hands up to the proper height. Just keep right on going, Boom! Done.

Did Eugene Burger share this idea in Intimate Power 'Voodoo Ritual' or was it during one of his lectures?
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1999 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
Honestly, I didn't learn that from anyone in particular. It's just the approach I've used since performing this effect with cigarette ash or lipstick. Great minds think alike I guess... Smile

Quote:
On Aug 13, 2023, Wravyn wrote:
Quote:
On Aug 4, 2023, Kaliix wrote:
Yes, tell them to put there hands out, palm down. It should be slightly unclear, which is why you mime for the what they are supposed to do. As you do this, intentionally hold your hands out in the correct position but lower than where you want their hands to be. As they mime your position, just casually say bring your hands up a little and just briefly touch and raise their hands up to the proper height. Just keep right on going, Boom! Done.

Did Eugene Burger share this idea in Intimate Power 'Voodoo Ritual' or was it during one of his lectures?
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21275 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
It is the way that effect has been done since the invention of hands and ashes. It is the motivation for actually touching them in the first place.

I seriously can’t imagine another way it is done.

As a matter of fact there were cavemen the day after the discovery of fire doing it this way.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1999 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
Yeah, I didn't think that was anything revolutionary, just the most obvious thing to do that will allow you to casually touch a spectator in the course of the explanation.

This reminded me of an out I came up with for confusing which hand you stamped. Hey look, sometimes you have them drop the wrong hand to their side in the heat of performance. If that happens, I'd have them make a fist with the hand in front of them. Now place that fist in your other palm (mime it). The fist becomes a magic stamper so stamp the top of their fist and have the mark transfer that way. Sometimes that can actually play better.
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
YoikYasi
View Profile
New user
LONGBRANCH, WA (1hr from seattle)
45 Posts

Profile of YoikYasi
Kallix so you are saying have them close their hand into a fist which doesn't have the mark then grab their hands and put the fist in the other hand while stamping it? Sorry I'm not understanding your explanation.
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1999 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
Just about right.

Let's say I stamp the right hand. Now as I am going through the routine both hands are in front of them and I have them drop one hand. The hand I want to be left in front of them is the one with the mark. Sometimes in the heat of performance, you confuse the hands and the one with the mark is the one at their side.

I was going to have them make a fist anyways to transfer the mark through the back of their hand. Since the hand in front doesn't have the mark because I messed up, I found that I just have them put the unmarked fist in the palm of the other hand (that is at their side and DOES have the mark). The fist now becomes a magic stamper, BOOMP, and now the fist stamps the palm.

The spectators never know how the trick is supposed to end so I just pivot in case of a mistake and roll with it using the out I have for just this case.

Quote:
On Aug 17, 2023, YoikYasi wrote:
Kallix so you are saying have them close their hand into a fist which doesn't have the mark then grab their hands and put the fist in the other hand while stamping it? Sorry I'm not understanding your explanation.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
vincentmusician
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto
266 Posts

Profile of vincentmusician
Man. This seems like a hassle. I have seen lots of videos of people doing this effect. If you like it, good on you but it seems too finicky for me. Cheers!
danfreed
View Profile
Inner circle
West Chester PA
1358 Posts

Profile of danfreed
I don't ask them if they are right or left handed, maybe I'm overthinking it, but that kind of force seems a bit obvious to me. I just stamp their left hand, but have them close and hold out both hands, then I ask them to keep both hands closed but quickly move their hands around to the left and right of their body kind of wide, and after they do that for 3 or 4 seconds or whatever, as they do that I tell them I will throw the X into their hand. Then they see the X on their hand. I may act like I didn't know which hand it would land on. Or sometimes before I tell them to open their hands, I say "hmm, I think it landed on your right hand, open that one first" and then of course its not there so they open the left. That usually sells the idea that I really threw it and didn't stamp them. The time misdirection of having them move their hands around seems to help too, and makes it seem necessary for the trick throwing them off the real method. It works very well, so I keep doing it, though I'm sure other ways work great too.
The hassle for me with the trick is losing the X part cause it gets stuck to stuff or when I need to replace the ink cartridge and getting that just right so the X looks good when stamped, but it such a great trick it's worth it.
bhavz95
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of bhavz95
Only issue I had one time is after marking the hand, a spectator said "oh my nails look so bad!" and proceeded to turn their hand over to look at their nails. Needless to say they were not impressed at the end.

Most of the time through it's a shocker!
aoakden
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of aoakden
You could use Zots as an alternative.
SNAFU
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of SNAFU
In my case, the gimmick sticks well, but I have trouble taking it out. It sits very tightly, and I have to grip firmly with two fingers, which makes the movement hardly loose and natural. Does anyone have a tip on this? How is it for you?