The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: One Arm Magic (9 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
SteveFromSpokane
View Profile
Regular user
199 Posts

Profile of SteveFromSpokane
Searching for magic trick ideas that a 13 year old boy with one arm may be able to do. He was born with a birth defect so one arm only hangs on his side.
He lives a couple blocks from me and I have performed some magic for him a couple times when he has walked by my house. He really loved them.
Would really like to obtain something he could do one handed. I have a Rene Lavand video but that is way too difficult for a beginner.

I am thinking a Hot Rod may be a possibility but wanted to see if anyone else has ideas.
thank you.
Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
1513 Posts

Profile of Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
Turbo stick with the spectators wiping off the dots maybe. Ill mull this one over and see what I can come up with. Hot rod would work one handed.
Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
1513 Posts

Profile of Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
funsway
View Profile
Eternal Order
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
10003 Posts

Profile of funsway
I have a number of effects in an eBook "One Hand Clapping" written for the Vanishing Wheel Chair Project (write me ken@eversway.com)

but a question, can he grip anything with his idle arm against his side?
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
A lot of mentalism can be done without any hands on. A different to explore anyway
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
SteveFromSpokane
View Profile
Regular user
199 Posts

Quote:
On Aug 24, 2020, Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse wrote:
Also:

https://www.google.com/search?client=ms-......wiz-serp

I had never heard of Matthias Buchinger before. Am going to read up on his life story. Thank you.
SteveFromSpokane
View Profile
Regular user
199 Posts

Quote:
On Aug 24, 2020, funsway wrote:
I have a number of effects in an eBook "One Hand Clapping" written for the Vanishing Wheel Chair Project (write me ken@eversway.com)

but a question, can he grip anything with his idle arm against his side?

I have never seen him use the idle arm for assisting in gripping anything unfortunately. He rides a bicycle and mows his family lawn all one handed.

I imagine that one hand has developed to accomplish more than either of my hands.

Are any of the effects in your eBook done entirely with one hand?
Thank you
SteveFromSpokane
View Profile
Regular user
199 Posts

Quote:
On Aug 24, 2020, Poof-Daddy wrote:
A lot of mentalism can be done without any hands on. A different to explore anyway

Had not even thought of mentalism but yes a lot of mentalism could be done with using just one hand.

Thank you.
funsway
View Profile
Eternal Order
10003 Posts

Profile of funsway
Quote:
On Aug 24, 2020, SteveFromSpokane wrote:
Are any of the effects in your eBook done entirely with one hand?
Thank you

Yes, and I have others unpublished but not for beginners.

Many effects with an Okito Bx can be done one handed. Check with Dave Neighbors.

To get him started, though, I suggest effects that do not require only simple moves/sleights such as a paddle.

After he develops some presentation skill you can move to more difficult things.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
funsway
View Profile
Eternal Order
10003 Posts

Profile of funsway
Bowers on the for sale site has some wonderful Coins Across Cup that can be done one handed.

maybe he'd give the kid a deal - at least he would start with a quality prop.
https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view......forum=76

federico luduena
View Profile
Loyal user
Spain
254 Posts

Profile of federico luduena
Great thread. Thanks, Funsway, for your contributions. At this moment, I remember what I list below:

"Expert Card Technique", part 4, chapter 5: One Hand Card Magic.

Fulves' "Self-Working Clos-Up Card Magic" has a simple version of McDonald's Aces (trick No. 36). The changes are done one-handed, and the rest is easily adaptable.

Although not for beginnners, it is worth checking Rene Lavand's work and see what can be taken from it for beginners.
SteveFromSpokane
View Profile
Regular user
199 Posts

Quote:
On Aug 26, 2020, federico luduena wrote:
Great thread. Thanks, Funsway, for your contributions. At this moment, I remember what I list below:

"Expert Card Technique", part 4, chapter 5: One Hand Card Magic.

Fulves' "Self-Working Clos-Up Card Magic" has a simple version of McDonald's Aces (trick No. 36). The changes are done one-handed, and the rest is easily adaptable.

Although not for beginnners, it is worth checking Rene Lavand's work and see what can be taken from it for beginners.

Thank you Federico for further ideas. I even have those books in my library.
karnak
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
759 Posts

Profile of karnak
Another approach might to be look at effects with a "hands off" emphasis, such as card tricks where the magician never even touches the deck, e.g. Daryl's "Untouched" (wherein the spectator does all the work).
For a supernatural chiller mixing magic (prestidigitation, legerdemain) with Magic (occultism, mysticism), check out my novel MAGIC: AN OCCULT THRILLER at http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Occult-Thriller-Reed-Hall/dp/1453874836
SteveFromSpokane
View Profile
Regular user
199 Posts

Quote:
On Aug 26, 2020, karnak wrote:
Another approach might to be look at effects with a "hands off" emphasis, such as card tricks where the magician never even touches the deck, e.g. Daryl's "Untouched" (wherein the spectator does all the work).

Perfect suggestion. I looked at Michael Ammar's Easy To Master Card Miracles Vol 4 for his teaching of Daryl's Untouched and right after Untouched he has Lazy Man's Card Trick by Al Koran. Both can be done completely by the spectator.
Basil
View Profile
Regular user
Green Bay, WI
129 Posts

Profile of Basil
When I was a kid, I used to perform the "One-handed Knot" quite often. It's in the Mark Wilson Course of Magic on page 251, though it's in many other beginner's books as well. The way it shows is good for learning the trick, but once you have that down, try starting with the rope between your thumb and forefinger, then letting the rope fall into position as you tilt the hand up, and immediately roll your hand to make the knot. Hopefully that makes sense if you know the trick.
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
- Meir Yedid currently has some dredles (sp, think tops) that will force a result

- Push a salt shaker through a table

Using the spectator to participate, by holding 1 of the props and/or helping your get set-up:
- Crazy Man's Handcuffs: where the spec holds the other rubber band
> If you buy Link, you can also do the initial linking, magically
- finger ring crawls up an out stretched rubber band
- a threading of a rope's end through a loop made on the other end (Wilson's book p249)
- tying a knot around a ring that you drop down a length of a circular band of those ball & chain type chains (sorry, don't remember the name);
spectator would hold the chain loop

- as mentioned above a One Hand Knot (in Wilson's book)
- there is also a one hand knot by holding one end of the rope and snapping it (I don't know how easy it is)
- Challenge the spectator to tie a knot in a length of rope w/o letting go of the ends (you do it instructing the spec to pre-twist his
arms into a pretzel like arrangement, then grab the rope .. could be tough to explain that in words)

- I would think there are lots of Bar Betchas that could be done with one hand

- Arm twisting (I'm not sure if the misdirection will be adequate with just one hand)

There are a number of other threads on the Café that can be found by searching for "one hand" or related.

I would check some books like Wilson's Complete Course in Magic, Magic for Dummies; 200 Magical Illusions, and Einhorn's amazing puzzles and stunning stunts,

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
SteveFromSpokane
View Profile
Regular user
199 Posts

Quote:
On Aug 27, 2020, John Long wrote:
- Meir Yedid currently has some dredles (sp, think tops) that will force a result

- Push a salt shaker through a table

Using the spectator to participate, by holding 1 of the props and/or helping your get set-up:
- Crazy Man's Handcuffs: where the spec holds the other rubber band
> If you buy Link, you can also do the initial linking, magically
- finger ring crawls up an out stretched rubber band
- a threading of a rope's end through a loop made on the other end (Wilson's book p249)
- tying a knot around a ring that you drop down a length of a circular band of those ball & chain type chains (sorry, don't remember the name);
spectator would hold the chain loop

- as mentioned above a One Hand Knot (in Wilson's book)
- there is also a one hand knot by holding one end of the rope and snapping it (I don't know how easy it is)
- Challenge the spectator to tie a knot in a length of rope w/o letting go of the ends (you do it instructing the spec to pre-twist his
arms into a pretzel like arrangement, then grab the rope .. could be tough to explain that in words)

- I would think there are lots of Bar Betchas that could be done with one hand

- Arm twisting (I'm not sure if the misdirection will be adequate with just one hand)

There are a number of other threads on the Café that can be found by searching for "one hand" or related.

I would check some books like Wilson's Complete Course in Magic, Magic for Dummies; 200 Magical Illusions, and Einhorn's amazing puzzles and stunning stunts,

John

Wow, thank you for a huge number of ideas. You obviously put some work into this and it is very appreciated.
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
You're welcome.

Actually, I read the post the night before and thought, yeeschh; logged out; then ideas just kept popping into my head, so I wrote them down.

The hard part was the next day, trying to read what I wrote the night before!

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
Basil
View Profile
Regular user
Green Bay, WI
129 Posts

Profile of Basil
It may be more of an optical illusion, but there is the old rubber pencil gag. I did that for a kid a while back and he loved it. He was only seven, but it’s an easy and fun effect to show.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
SteveFromSpokane,

You seem to a 13 year old boy, that is interested in magic, would put in the work that Rene Lavand did to become on of the famous magician with a deck of playing cards.

Why not ask the box, if he would like to learn magic, and if he says yes, talk to his parents if you can help him.

I don't know if Rene Lavand, book and DVD shares his handling methods, but why not set down with the box and watch the video together, and get the boy's opinion. Give him the DVD and let him learn from a person that has the same affection.

When I was 13, I was doing all kinds of manipulation moves. Interest and the challenge is what drives a person to learn something he finds fascinating.

You will help him grow, and that would make you feel good.