The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Lights...camera...action! :: Getting publicity organising stunt (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
jezza
View Profile
Elite user
469 Posts

Profile of jezza
I am a pro close up magician and ive realise the only way I can take myself to the next level is by doing something radical but it is only worth risking doing if tv publicity is there ,1st the organisation is really difficult and I really don't know where to start I have all the ideas in my head , I am a proficient coin ,card handler and a good showman ,
the escape I want to do involves being tied in a box strapped on top of a train ,the box is level with a bridge so it will smash when hits bridge, and I escape from box climb on top as its going along and jump from box on to bridge (the train can only go at 30 miles an hour as this is about the maximum I could do this , I want to do it live on tv and to have tv publicity beforehand where I do my close up live on tv ,
I'm fed up of all this edited stuff on tv and will do it live ,
I can do this but how do I go about it
Tom James
View Profile
Regular user
Cincinnati, Ohio
139 Posts

Profile of Tom James
Jezza

I would start by talking to local Tv stations and radio stations. I would go to the news papers and tell them you are going to do something like you said. I would get all my ducks in a row and then hit the tv, radio, and news agian. Do some small stuff leading up to your escape, to generate something for the public. I would even try going to a network station and see if they would be willing to do a hour show of live magic. If Blaine and Angel can do so can any one else. Good luck in your endivers.

Tom
EddyRay
View Profile
Special user
United States Of America
525 Posts

Profile of EddyRay
Why do you feel doing a "dangerous escape" will take you to the next level? what is the next level?

There are plenty of other ways to get good publicity and I think people often over look them.

When doing a stunt like this, you need something to promote. if you are promoting a closeup performance, does it really make sense to do a large escape like this?

What about a newspaper headline prediciton, or lotto prediction. What about press releases to all media about a charity event?

Think about all of this and good luck.
James Watkins
View Profile
Elite user
412 Posts

Profile of James Watkins
Hey,

I have been on TV here in my local town 3 times. I have always worked something out with the TV station, where I have a promo come on every 2 hours to get it hyped up. It is nothing big here, but it has helped bring A LOT of people to the performance place, like when they have a blood drive or something, and it has gotten a lot of views on TV.

Doing an escape or something is not necesarily the only thing you can do now. Do some private shows, restaurants, try and get gigs on your local TV station, that should help a little bit. Smile Hope this helps some.

Keep it real,
James Watkins
obijuan
View Profile
Loyal user
New Lenox
242 Posts

Profile of obijuan
Talk to morning tv producers and local radio producers. They book the talent.