The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Finger/stage manipulation :: Multiplying Balls - the slo mo move (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Kanawati
View Profile
Veteran user
Australia
301 Posts

Profile of Kanawati
Hi everyone, I’ve already posted about the great routine by French magician Denis Fabre. It inspired me to try and do something with a set of 1.5 inch diameter wooden balls I hadn’t done much with since I was a teenager! I posted about my attempts to give the balls better grip...but I’ve put those attempts to one side for the time being. It’s funny how what seemed like a weakness in the props I had (not so great grip) led to an alternative handling I now like. I showed it to my wife and was surprised that she found the move both baffling and visually magical. So I thought I’d share it here in case it could be of interest to others working with smaller diameter sets. I’m not sure if there is anything original in what I’m doing. It doesn’t work well with larger diameter balls.

Because I was having trouble with the grip and going from a 2 to 3 display...I found another way to get from 2 to 3 and 3 to 4. I’m trying to create the illusion of the ball slowly materializing or emerging between the fingers rather than it being suddenly or quickly there...so I’m calling it the slo mo move:) I’m also playing around with a separate move after seeing a clip of Will Houstoun perform his wonderful 2 coin routine. I learnt about his routine after seeing it discussed over at the nothing up my sleeve section. It looks magical when done with coins and in his hands...not sure how it looks with balls?

This is not a performance of my full routine..just a demo of the 2 moves:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cOP0oqHl39k
John
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9998 Posts

Profile of funsway
I feel the slow emerge rather than the snap is clever and elegant. The use of the arm for friction/balance very innovative.

I have another move that may fit your style. Write me ken@eversway.com
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
ray1
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of ray1
Very nice, have never seen that one before.
Kanawati
View Profile
Veteran user
Australia
301 Posts

Profile of Kanawati
Many thanks ray1 and funsway!
charlie_d
View Profile
Loyal user
247 Posts

Profile of charlie_d
Really nice; fun and surprisingly deceptive!
Kanawati
View Profile
Veteran user
Australia
301 Posts

Profile of Kanawati
Thank you charlie_d!
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2334 Posts

Profile of David Todd
I'm no ball manipulation expert by any means , but I also have never seen your "slo-mo" move with the ball appearing. Maybe somewhere in the history of ball manipulation someone has done it before , but it's new to me. I think it looks great. Nice discovery. Thanks for sharing it.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Kanawati, You are a creative guy, but why anyone would have a hole drilled through their forearm is beyond me, just so a ball can roll out of that hole. Smile

Actually, your productions and appearances before the ball from hole in forearm are more puzzling then the final ball. Everything before the final ball is quick and flashy, then you stop and rub your forearm, and move slowly. That may bring some attention to it, but what the audience, okay, hurry up what are you doing. Smile
Kanawati
View Profile
Veteran user
Australia
301 Posts

Profile of Kanawati
Many thanks David and Bill (for the feedback and the chuckle)!
ajb6864
View Profile
Special user
Greece
638 Posts

Profile of ajb6864
Loved it!
A great way of showing that magicians do produce things from their elbows (or forearm in your case).
I enjoy all of your posts and always look forward to what you'll come up with next.
Please keep it up. 😃
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
I like it! Brilliant!

Doug
Intrepid
View Profile
Inner circle