The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Ever so sleightly :: Review of Presti Cup (Eduoard Boulanger) (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
jerdunn
View Profile
Inner circle
1735 Posts

Profile of jerdunn
Anyone have this unique Chop Cup set and care to comment on it -- good, bad, interesting?

Thanks!
Jerry
ajb6864
View Profile
Special user
Greece
638 Posts

Profile of ajb6864
Jerry,

Edouard has taken the original routine of William Zavis and added some very nice additional moves and displays.

The Zavis routine is in his book, 'Diverse Deceipts' and I also have it on an old Videonics VHS tape, I think volume 4.

Alan
jerdunn
View Profile
Inner circle
1735 Posts

Profile of jerdunn
Thanks very much!

If anyone owns a Presti Cup and cares to comment further, that's great too.
Bill Wood
View Profile
New user
Nova Scotia
98 Posts

Profile of Bill Wood
I love this cup, and all the other bits and bobs that come with it. To be honest the cup could be a bit better, it is leather and looks great but the actual construction looks a bit rushed. This doesn't impact the success of the trick or the audience enjoyment and most folks wouldn't even notice. Also you can use another cup if you wanted to. The wand is top notch, the balls are a clever concept and work well for the trick.

I love the routine because it's a series of vanishes, appearances and penetrations. This routine doesn't use the old "is it in my pocket or under the cup" premise. Neither the ball or your hand go to your pocket, which I think makes this a very convincing routine. And to top it all off, it's not complex slight of hand.

One slight issue in today's climate is that the routine is structured in such a way that you interact closely with a volunteer. You have them touch the cup and you use their hands as a table for a few parts of the routine. So it's not covid compliant but...the in the hands aspect of the routine is very cool, makes for an engaging and interactive version of the cups and balls and fries the people I have been able to perform this for. For now I'm simplifying the routine and leaving out the interactive parts but as soon as it's safe to add them back in I will because they are very strong.

I know everyone is different and has varied taste but in my opinion this is a great trick I look forward to performing for years to come.
jerdunn
View Profile
Inner circle
1735 Posts

Profile of jerdunn
Thank you, Bill! (I was concerned that the cup doesn't look very good, although I love the routine and method.)
Bill Wood
View Profile
New user
Nova Scotia
98 Posts

Profile of Bill Wood
Jerdunn: I've been thinking about making a leather cup..but in all likely hood I'll just keep my eye out for a suitable one to purchase. That said the cup the comes with the trick will work great and won't leave you looking like a down at the heal magician.
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
All the voices in my head helped me make
2206 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
Quote:
On Jul 17, 2020, Bill Wood wrote:
Jerdunn: I've been thinking about making a leather cup..but in all likely hood I'll just keep my eye out for a suitable one to purchase. That said the cup the comes with the trick will work great and won't leave you looking like a down at the heal magician.

TCC Presents should have their's ready for retail by next month. Great cup, comes with two balls and they have load balls at an extra cost.
Most likely Murphy's Magic is going to be releasing it. It's a very well made cup.
Licensed Steve Dusheck Manufacturer and distributor visit www.airshipmagic.com
Anemoi
View Profile
New user
Cambridge, MA
53 Posts

Profile of Anemoi
I love the Presti Cup. I also have Alex Hecklau's Just a Cup which is just as wonderful but uses dice. Both of these cups have their own unique bits and bobs, and both come with a rather plain simply constructed leather cup, which I see as an advantage as no one would suspect them. I also have the TCC chop cup and some wonderful leather chop cups from Miguel Pizarro at El Chop cup which are a much higher quality cup.

The moves you can do with the ball are quite unique to the Presti Cup, but I suspect I will be able do similar moves with Craig Petty's Chop, which I just ordered.
In addition, Edouard Boulanger's video instructions for the Presti Cup, though in French with subtitles, is well done and shows many different kinds of moves.
Anemoi
View Profile
New user
Cambridge, MA
53 Posts

Profile of Anemoi
I received Craig Petty's Chop and like it very much. The routines/moves you can do with Chop are identical to the moves that can be done with the Presti Cup. The main difference is that the gimmicks in Chop are in the form of common objects instead of magic objects.
Galaxy Magician
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of Galaxy Magician
In regard to Bill Wood's comment that, "the actual (cup) construction looks a bit rushed". The cup I have is beautifully stitched at the base and double stitched up the side. It also has 3 very nice concentric embossed lines around the cup. Maybe I have the deluxe version because it looks like the cup in the trailer is less detailed. Hope that helps if Jerdunn is still looking for a nice Presti Cup. Good Luck