The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Torn n restored cigarette paper with color changing rose (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
griz326
View Profile
Regular user
Eureka, Montana
129 Posts

Profile of griz326
I have done torn n restored cigarette paper for years. When I found this Michael Weber work, I realized there was more that I could do.

https://www.magicana.com/video/michael-w......-paper-0

The first thing that got me was the restore. It was beautiful. Clearly, the replacement ball was prepped just for this.
Then he made the paper rose from the restored cigarette paper (I'm presuming that it was cigarette paper). I've made hundreds, thousands, millions (okay, I'm over the top with that) of napkin roses, it never occurred to me to make a rose out of the restored cigarette paper.

THEN, the paper rose is magically colored to green and red under the glass.

Aside from the thorough routining of the piece starting with the origami premise through to the conclusion it is genius.

Has this routine and the method for the color change ever been documented by Weber?
newguy
View Profile
Elite user
411 Posts

Profile of newguy
No, but he still performs it regularly and it is exclusive to him.
griz326
View Profile
Regular user
Eureka, Montana
129 Posts

Profile of griz326
Thank you, newguy. It is a beautiful torn 'n restored.

Since he's still performing it, I'll stop my reverse engineering research Smile
newguy
View Profile
Elite user
411 Posts

Profile of newguy
Classy and respectful!!!!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Griz326, So you know how to perform a version of the torn and restored Cigarette paper. You also know how to make a paper rose. So what is stopping you from coming up with a similar colored rose production. I watched the video several times, and can come up with several methods.

What stood out for me, is why does a paper rose make a metallic sound when it hits the inside of the glass as it falls.

There is so many steals and switches in this routine, most would not be interested in putting in the work to present it properly.

Your comment is puzzling, you know how to make a paper napkin rose, but can't figure out how to make the same rose out of a cigarette paper. The answer is you make it in the same identical way.
griz326
View Profile
Regular user
Eureka, Montana
129 Posts

Profile of griz326
The puzzle for me is the dynamic color change; everything else I've performed for years.
griz326
View Profile
Regular user
Eureka, Montana
129 Posts

Profile of griz326
I listened for that metalic sound and did not hear it, Bill.

It never occurred to me to combine my torn 'n restored with my napkin rose.

It is much more difficult to make a rose from the size paper that I use for torn 'n restored than a napkin. Evolution might be in order for my effect.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Griz326, you just said what I noted in my previous post, yes it is a little more difficult, so you have to put the work in. I suggest you watch the video on full screen, and pay attention to every move he does. Notice how he only uses his fingertips to form the rose.

As for the sound, turn you sound up, and when he drops the flower in the glass, you hear a clink. That is a tell that a piece of metal in the cigarette paper. Maybe a very small magnet. Why a magnet, because it assist him in placement for a steal.

If you are not willing to put the work in, then just move on, as this is a very complicated routine. Do you know what I mean when I use the word steal. It means obtaining something from a hiding place. Don't watch the effect, just only watch his hands, where they move, where they go, and why would he move them to those places.

If you still can't figure it out, turn off the sound and don't look at the girl at all, only his hands. If you still don't see it, then you are not concentrating enough.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5451 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
The clink heard is actually the glass softly hitting the girl's ring. The overall trick can be easily duplicated. First phase is the torn and restored cigarette paper. Almost any torn and restored cigarette paper method may be used. I believe that the Martin Lewis' "Undivided" is best used here.

Second phase is in two parts. The charming making a small paper rose from a small square of tissue paper (easily done by those who know how to make napkin roses) is part one.

Part two is the color changing paper. In terms of the color change please note that the stem does not change color only the flower portion (to pink) changes. You are overthinking the effect and trying to make it complicated. You learned to make paper turn to pink in your high school chemistry class (or I did in the late 50s).

Putting those elements together in an artistic and magical manner for a truly memorable moment all belong to Mr. Weber. I would argue that Mr. Weber has found a way for the routine to build to a "WOW" finale'.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
griz326
View Profile
Regular user
Eureka, Montana
129 Posts

Profile of griz326
I don't consider this routine complicated, Bill, having done torn 'n restored cig-paper and paper rose hundreds -maybe thousands- of times. IMO, the combination of those two components is masterful as is his instant restore. I never considered the restore from a little ball of paper to be magical which is why I always had someone in my audience struggle to open the paper.

Harry, you are correct about the stem not turning green. I must have been so mesmerized by the routine that I imagined it. So turning the flower red is not a challenge for the reason that you mentioned. My little chemistry set had me doing color changes when I was seven; I haven't forgotten that in my old age Smile

I have no ethical issues combining my methods for torn 'n restored with my paper rose routine. I don't feel the same way about the instant restore and the color change; those are Dr. Weber's signature bits. I'll just admire them and wish that I had imagined them when I started doing those pieces 30+ years ago.
Mac_Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
Miami, FL
1440 Posts

Profile of Mac_Stone
He's not a doctor but he is a lawyer.
jim ferguson
View Profile
Veteran user
Ayrshire, Scotland
386 Posts

Profile of jim ferguson
Bill,

Encouraging someone to back engineer another magicians work, let alone an unpublished pet effect, is very bad form.

The routine, as put together and performed by Mr Weber, belongs to him. Knowing the workings of others routines, doesn't automatically give you the right to perform them.

Jim
newguy
View Profile
Elite user
411 Posts

Profile of newguy
Totally agree with Jim