The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: What happened, was this... :: Magic for the homeless and lonely - a feel-good story about magic in the real world (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
EndersGame
View Profile
Inner circle
Reviewer EndersGame
2201 Posts

Profile of EndersGame
Today I was going to a local shopping mall, and sitting near the main entrance was an older lady, with a cardboard sign like the ones you often see homeless people with, asking for money. But hers just read: "I'm lonely, I need a friend, please talk to me." She looked rather run-down (missing some teeth, odd clothes, shopping cart), and everyone was ignoring her. I felt sorry for her, so I sat down to have a friendly chat.

After talking for a while, she said "Can I show you a card trick?" Of course I beamed and said I'd love that, and she proceeded to pull out a well-worn deck of cheap playing cards, and did the classic 21 Card Trick. It was just all dealing and counting, but I played along, and congratulated her on finding my card. She was very pleased, and said it was the only trick she knew, and thanked me for spending some time with her, and watching her card trick.

You can probably guess where this is going. I said that I like card tricks too, and would she like to see some more card magic? She was very keen, so I did a series of impromptu card tricks for her, and she was absolutely amazed and thrilled. Before I went on my way, she begged me to teach her another card trick, so I taught her a simple key card trick she could do.

I got the impression she wasn't homeless, but may have been mentally ill or in need of special care. Even so, it was a great opportunity to brighten someone's day, by treating them with compassion as a fellow human being, and giving them some joy with the help of card magic.

PS: And for the benefit of anyone concerned about my health after handling that deck, yes hand sanitizer was used afterwards, ahead of eating my lunch 5 minutes later!
GlennLawrence
View Profile
Veteran user
Randolph NJ
322 Posts

Profile of GlennLawrence
That is a great story! I don't know where you are but I don't expect any shopping malls around these parts to be open for months...