The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Everything old is new again :: Prayer Vase, Genii Bottle, Vase of Allah (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
cinefisch
View Profile
New user
Wauwatosa
27 Posts

Profile of cinefisch
We've all had one of these in our first magic kit. There is a routine for it in the Mark Wilson course. Big Guy's magic is producing a modern version of this classic effect that offers some interesting handlings. I had the pleasure of filming this video promo and working with Big Guy to come up with some of these new moves. He added something he calls the "Magic Carpet" which muffles the sound of that secret something (the Genii!!) that makes the effect work. The design of the vase is beautiful and it comes in 5 different designs. It's shape allows you to roll it (as seen in the trailer) which is a subtle display of its emptiness and also allows you to insert the rope from a horizontal position. Because of the "carpet you can more freely and naturally insert and remove the rope between suspensions. Another interesting feature is that, when inverted, the vase make a little pedestal where you could rest an item, such as a prediction card or your deck. It is really fun to play around with. Here is the video trailer;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PnhVDQf0Qo&t=5s
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3883 Posts

Profile of Julie
One of the best versions of this trick IMO is the one with a five inch or so long rubber fish in place of the vase. The piece of rope represented a fishing line.

This was part of the MAGICWORKS (Reiss?) series that was sold through conventional retail stores and promoted on some t.v. advertising many years ago.

The special feature was that the performer did not need to steal a little hidden ball before allowing the fish to be handled by a spectator (no palming in or out).

Anyone else remember this "goodie"?

Julie
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3727 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
MagicWorks was Milton Bradley.

Steve
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
In 2015, I released my favorite routine from those early years of playing around in the back of the magic shop with all those toys. What I came up with is not just one trick, but a combination of many old effects built around the idea that a silk, on which a Genii is printed, appears and disappears in a bottle and does various other mysterious and mischievous things. Some of the old effects recreated for the Genii to play with include: The Imp Bottle, The Prayer Vase, The Hoo-Coin, The Demuth Milk Bottle, Floating Bottle, Dancing Hank, Silk-Kola, Appearing and Disappearing Bottle and a "Magic Carpet."
wulfiesmith
View Profile
Inner circle
Beverley, UK
1339 Posts

Profile of wulfiesmith
Nice spin on an original effect ... excellent!
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5169 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Very nice video cinefisch!

The vases look great. What are they made of?
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6145 Posts

Profile of motown
I was curious what the vase was made off as well.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain