The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Zig zag question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Lothar
View Profile
Loyal user
248 Posts

Profile of Lothar
I am having a zig zag cabinet built for a man to assist. (Don't laugh!) It is 23.5" wide and 17" deep. How many inches should I allow for the "hidden space" when the blades are inserted. I've been told that a man usually needs 8 or 9 inches of space when zig-zagged. Does that sound right?
Wes
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7569 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
I recommend building a cardboard mock-up first, then you can flesh out the details without the cost of cutting and wasting wood.

- Donald.
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
fredpaulbailey
View Profile
New user
Fred
52 Posts

Profile of fredpaulbailey
I agree with Donald. I used to perform it as well and in my younger days I could fit in the same cabinet my assistant did. But since most of us men do not have breasts and hips with a skinny waist you will probably have to measure your male assistant and figure out the needed modifications or as Donald said, your best bet would be to build a cardboard mock-up.

When I was able to fit in the cabinet my assistant and I would do a routine to "Anything You Can Do I Can Do Better" from Annie Get Your Gun, sang as a duet (we changed the words) and it would end with her putting ME in the box! I have to say it went over really well.

Good luck with whatever your intentions are!

Fred
Lothar
View Profile
Loyal user
248 Posts

Profile of Lothar
Actually, the cabinet is already being built. My question was for making the blades. The guy making the blades needs to know how much space to allow on the left side for the blade to shift over inside the handle.
Wes
fredpaulbailey
View Profile
New user
Fred
52 Posts

Profile of fredpaulbailey
Being a man - your assistant has a different build than the typical female. If I were you I would wait until the cabinet is built, put the guy in position and measure how much space he is going to need top and bottom (make sure you use the smallest measurement and make the top and bottom blade the same size). Then have the slots for the blades cut into the doors and the blades made.

Hope this helps.
MagicalPirate
View Profile
Special user
Shamokin, PA
828 Posts

Profile of MagicalPirate
If you really want the answers now, have your assistant stand with his back against a wall. Take measurements with a yardstick so it will be inflexible and give accurate measurements. Now measure the areas where the blade will have to pass and the area where the middle is. Using the largest measurement you will have your answer as to how much space is required.

Martin Smile
Martin Blakley, CSH, DASH, CMSA
http://www.thehypnoguy.com/HYPNORESOURCES
http://www.docgrayson.com/
How To Sell Anything Online
http://tub.bz/?r=1z
Copyright to my own words retained 100%.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Do you have the Harbini book? Of course, sadly, most make them without permission... but... if you read the routine, you will realize that the section is moved over BEFORE the blades are put in. That way it is LOGICAL that the blades are narrower. I don't have mine handy, but I don't know about the blades moving in the handles. Sounds like an un-necessary imrovment.

90% of the performers I have seen do the Zig Zag DO NOT UNDERSTAND it... you really have to read Harbin's presentation closely to GET IT.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com