The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The clothes we wear :: Clothing (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Yes, I was taking into consideration the underlying reason for mentioning the age factor or even considering it as a factor in his post. If not maybe someone else can benefit from my experiences in life.
David Nathan Magic
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of David Nathan Magic
Hello everyone!

I've decided to keep everything as it is for now, and to make a separate show with the youthful theme to tour some small theatres with!
Thanks everyone for helping out Smile
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10615 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Keep us posted, I woud be curious and interested on how it goes for you.
MagicByVincent
View Profile
Veteran user
Staten Island, New York
332 Posts

Profile of MagicByVincent
Me too. Also are you planing on doing the costume change? If so curious how it plays. Was thinking about it , maybe have a 2 pice jumpsuit (front and back) that looks like a 3 piece suit Velcro together so when it’s time you just pull it off and throw it aside.
Smile Smile Smile Magic is all around us we just have to be willing to see it.
JBD
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of JBD
Too many magicians dress like they are heading to work in the office. You need to have some flair that suits you. Be different from the rest and stand out. Make sure what you choose to wear suits your style of magic!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On Apr 19, 2020, JBD wrote:
Too many magicians dress like they are heading to work in the office. You need to have some flair that suits you. Be different from the rest and stand out. Make sure what you choose to wear suits your style of magic!

More importantly, you have to consider the event. I you are hired for a business event, then you must wear a suit. If you are working for a garden party, then you can dress more causal.

Also consider if you need pocket space, or work out of a case of some kind.

In the end there is on one answer that fits all events and people. Just make sure you dress as sharp and you can, the cloths fit correctly and you don't look sloppy.
JBD
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of JBD
I totally agree with you Bill. I am not saying go in jeans and a t-shirt to everything.

Recently I have seen magicians at events I have attended, where I am a guest and not the hired a magician.
The dress sense at the events at times gives our industry a bad name. Some of the suits have been cheap off the peg wash and iron at home suits.

The older great names in magic are remembered as characters because they dressed with care attention and detail.

You are not going to be dressed as a clown with floppy large boots to a corporate gig are you....... Not unless that is what they have asked for.....
Parnaso
View Profile
New user
Los Angeles, CA
15 Posts

Profile of Parnaso
Hello everybody,

I believe the biggest problem we magicians have, in all aspects, but of course regarding clothes too, is that we make decisions on our own, without any kind of professional advice, not from other magicians, although they are professionals in magic, but from (lets say, for the example), professional clothing designers, consultants or advisors.
Same thing happens, most of the time, with lighting, music, props not specific to magic effects that we display on stage, and more.

It's very sweet that we become self-advisors to ourselves. In many regards it's very useful, and of course it saves us a lot of money.

But in real world businesses, it doesn't work like that.

If we really really strive to put magic on top out there, along with other performing arts, and we ask for the respect from real world producers, managers, clients and companies, we have to behave and prepare accordingly.

So, if you are 21 years old, it's not just the black and white choice of jeans/t-shirt or tuxedo. There is a full grays scale out there, and if you try to do it yourself, figure out yourself, you will miss 99% of the shoots you take.

Luckily for us, there is a lot, and I mean a lot, of people around us that would gladly help us in all the departments we need. Some of them will be impossible to afford, some of them will be within our budget, some will even do it for free, if we purchase from them.

Go and get some professional advice on clothing. And leave magicians to give you advice on magic.

That's my humble take on the matter. Hope all is well to all of you.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10615 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
On Jul 10, 2020, Parnaso wrote:
But in real world businesses, it doesn't work like that.

So very true and some great points. The problem is most magicians operate from a "me' perspective rather than an industry or professional position which makes a world of difference in practically all aspects - performance material, image, clothing, equipment, promotional materials, business and operations. Then, of course, comes a lack respect for the art itself.