The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The International Brotherhood of Magicians! :: Is membership worth the cost? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
omagico
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of omagico
I'm trying to decide if joining IBM is worth the dues cost. Any thoughts?
djsqzme
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of djsqzme
Not personally a member myself but I am going to visit the local chapter and see if I like the group then decide from there. you should probably contact your local chapter to see if you would like to join them as well. Make goals for yourself and see if they meet what you want to achieve.

My goal of joining group is to meet magicians, better my sleights, learn/share a couple of tricks, learn how to perform (I watch a lot of magic castle videos, and realize how good they are because of their ability to talk and misdirect at the same time). Performing at the magic castle as the ultimate goal, but I know I'm wayyyyyyyyyyy far from that.

I read that the linking rings magazine is a really good magazine as well.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4863 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
IBM clubs are called rings not chapters. You can visit a local ring but you must be a member of IBM to join one. Membership gives you the ability to attend the annual convention, visit the dealer rooms and enjoy all the lectures and shows. You also get a yearly subscription to the Linking Ring, official magazine of the IBM.

We have a forum on the Café dedicated to the IBM that can give you more information about that organization. Similarly, there is also the SAM which gives the same benefits as well as a subscription to MUM, official magazine of the SAM. We also have a forum for that organization as well.
Where the magic begins
Matthew Crabtree
View Profile
Special user
611 Posts

Profile of Matthew Crabtree
Quote:
On Jan 15, 2020, Dave Scribner wrote:
IBM clubs are called rings not chapters. You can visit a local ring but you must be a member of IBM to join one. Membership gives you the ability to attend the annual convention, visit the dealer rooms and enjoy all the lectures and shows. You also get a yearly subscription to the Linking Ring, official magazine of the IBM.

We have a forum on the Café dedicated to the IBM that can give you more information about that organization. Similarly, there is also the SAM which gives the same benefits as well as a subscription to MUM, official magazine of the SAM. We also have a forum for that organization as well.

You forgot the S.A.M. had the Video Instructional Program and the online assembly with free lectures once a month.
National First Vice President
The Society of American Magicians
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4863 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Quote:
You forgot the S.A.M. had the Video Instructional Program and the online assembly with free lectures once a month.

I didn't really forget. Just that this topic was about the IBM. I referenced the SAM only as another source.
Where the magic begins
Matthew Crabtree
View Profile
Special user
611 Posts

Profile of Matthew Crabtree
Quote:
On Jan 16, 2020, Dave Scribner wrote:
Quote:

I didn't really forget. Just that this topic was about the IBM. I referenced the SAM only as another source.

YOu talked about the benefits of the IBM and pointed out that the S.A.M. has the same, only there are more with all of the online stuff.
National First Vice President
The Society of American Magicians
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4863 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Matthew, let's not get carried away with this. I answered his question and gave a reference to SAM. Yes there are benefits with SAM that I didn't mention but there are also benefits to the IBM that I didn't mention such as the Order of Merlin categories, special breakfasts at the conventions and stores. I didn't think it necessary to list all of the benefits of both organizations. If he wants to know more about SAM, he can use that forum.
Where the magic begins
kcmagic1
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of kcmagic1
I feel like the IBM is worth the price. That being said, I think that it is worth mentioning that with any club, or ring, there is a fee to join the international and also a fee to join the local. There are several benefits to joining and one of the cool things that the IBM is now offering is the IBM JAM sessions which, as far as I know, are free. They just started up again this year. As far as the local IBM, I joined because my local ring has 8-10 lectures a year. Some are good and others ok but as a member I don't have to pay to attend. If I wasn't a member, it would cost me more to attend the lectures.
Designer of the 1000-G cups - the most durable cups in magic www.kristiancharles.com/1000-g